2 eggs from one pullet in 12 hrs.

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
I've got one pullet that has been incarcerated to a dog crate for the past few days for being a bully.

Yesterday, I went out to open up the coop, and take the tarp off the crate at 6:15am. No egg in the crate.
At 7:30am, I went out to fill the waterer. And there was a normal sized egg in the crate.

7:30 pm, I went to close em up, and there's a 2nd egg in the crate.
A very small egg.
IMG_20190907_145614505.jpg

Well, if she was locked up all day long, that proves it can happen.
Kinda rare as it normally takes 18-20 hours to form the shell.
What's inside that small egg?
Are both shells good and hard/thick?

Yes, both seem normal. Haven't cracked either one yet.

I've had some success isolating a chicken to change behaviors. It doesn't always work so good luck.

Sometimes a hen will mess up and start two yolks the same day or maybe something else goes down that internal egg making factory and the hen creates a second egg. It will be interesting in what's in that second smaller egg. This kind of stuff happens with a mature hen occasionally but is more common with pullets or really old hens. As long as it is not consistent I figure all of us are entitled to an occasional oops.

Often the second egg is thin-shelled or soft. A hen typically only makes a certain amount of shell material per day and there may not be enough shell material for the second egg. Often, not always.

If both eggs were in the shell gland at the same time you can sometimes see blemishes on the two eggs where they were touching. I don't see those on your eggs but the egg quality handbook talks about this double ovation with misshapen eggs and flat-sided eggs.

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Well, if she was locked up all day long, that proves it can happen.
Kinda rare as it normally takes 18-20 hours to form the shell.
What's inside that small egg?
Are both shells good and hard/thick?

Back
Top Bottom