2 embryo in 1 egg? Please look at picture

Pics
I'm really struggling with the 6 pack lately, I have never had ducklings misbehave like these do, even the rescue ducks or purchased ducks, they always imprinted on me and never gave me trouble. Being that I incubated these guys I assumed the imprinting would be so much stronger and well, that was an assumption!! They act as if I am going to slaughter them, when I change their bedding they flog around in a panic scratching me with their nails and putting me at risk of dropping them or getting an infection :(
I don't understand what is happening :( they don't follow me, getting them out for swim time and excercise is a HUGE TASK, because I spend half an hour trying to round them up. Hubby is to the point of releasing them to the pond and let them figure it out but they are not ready :( have I done something wrong? Has anyone ever had a problem with imprinting on hatchlings? I just don't know what to do and if something doesn't give they will be set lose because my husband isn't willing to see me worn down or sick over ducks .... I'm just lost as to why they have decided that I'm the enemy
1f621.png
1f621.png

:hugs :hugs

Some just aren't as handleable as others... and most go through a 'teenage' phase...

I'm really struggling with the 6 pack lately, I have never had ducklings misbehave like these do, even the rescue ducks or purchased ducks, they always imprinted on me and never gave me trouble. Being that I incubated these guys I assumed the imprinting would be so much stronger and well, that was an assumption!! They act as if I am going to slaughter them, when I change their bedding they flog around in a panic scratching me with their nails and putting me at risk of dropping them or getting an infection
sad.png

I don't understand what is happening
sad.png
they don't follow me, getting them out for swim time and excercise is a HUGE TASK, because I spend half an hour trying to round them up. Hubby is to the point of releasing them to the pond and let them figure it out but they are not ready
sad.png
have I done something wrong? Has anyone ever had a problem with imprinting on hatchlings? I just don't know what to do and if something doesn't give they will be set lose because my husband isn't willing to see me worn down or sick over ducks .... I'm just lost as to why they have decided that I'm the enemy
1f621.png
1f621.png
hugs.gif
i am so sorry!! none of my ducks have imprinted on me, and they all think i am there to eat them

The link to the double yolk egg caught my attention last night. I started at the beginning post and THREE HOURS LATER, I came to the last message! My husband came into the computer room and wondered what had me on the computer so long, and why I was crying?

It is so wonderful to see people so caring and thoughtful. And so understanding, because of a shared interest in God's sweet creatures.

Back to your birds and their antics.

I hatched out 'wild mallard' eggs for a friend ONE time. There were a dozen or more eggs. No other eggs in the bator, and they hatched out like popcorn. They were fine in my little brooder until one decided it was wild, and all of the rest followed suit as if a switch had been flipped. There was no calming them. Thankfully they went to their 'owner' at about 2 days old. He said that was 'normal' for wild stock.

Hoping maybe you can find someone else to take on their duties until they are feathered enough to release safely. They may calm down some when in the company of a large flock of more domestic birds. But, they may not. This is mother natures way of keeping them from becoming dinner. It's nothing you have done, or not done. Just their genetics kicking in.

Please don't put yourself at risk for an injury/infection, you have too much else to be here for!

Keep us all posted, we care! Ellen

I'm really struggling with the 6 pack lately, I have never had ducklings misbehave like these do, even the rescue ducks or purchased ducks, they always imprinted on me and never gave me trouble. Being that I incubated these guys I assumed the imprinting would be so much stronger and well, that was an assumption!! They act as if I am going to slaughter them, when I change their bedding they flog around in a panic scratching me with their nails and putting me at risk of dropping them or getting an infection
sad.png

I don't understand what is happening
sad.png
they don't follow me, getting them out for swim time and excercise is a HUGE TASK, because I spend half an hour trying to round them up. Hubby is to the point of releasing them to the pond and let them figure it out but they are not ready
sad.png
have I done something wrong? Has anyone ever had a problem with imprinting on hatchlings? I just don't know what to do and if something doesn't give they will be set lose because my husband isn't willing to see me worn down or sick over ducks .... I'm just lost as to why they have decided that I'm the enemy
1f621.png
1f621.png
When I had ducks, they were great until they hit adolescence. After that, and until they became adults, they didn't like me much. I'm currently going through the same phase with my 7 week old chicks. They were all very friendly, but as always, they hit that time and become very anti-social. I don't take it as anything personal (and I hope you don't), because every single batch of chicks and ducks I've ever raised has been like this at this time in their lives. Your ducklings should socialize again, just give them a little time.
smile.png

Also, you have an amazing story!

The link to the double yolk egg caught my attention last night.  I started at the beginning post and THREE HOURS LATER, I came to the last message!  My husband came into the computer room and wondered what had me on the computer so long, and why I was crying?

It is so wonderful to see people so caring and thoughtful.   And so understanding, because of a shared interest in God's sweet creatures. 

Back to your birds and their antics. 

I hatched out 'wild mallard' eggs for a friend ONE time.  There were a dozen or more eggs.  No other eggs in the bator, and they hatched out like popcorn.   They were fine in my little brooder until one decided it was wild, and all of the rest followed suit as if a switch had been flipped.   There was no calming them.  Thankfully they went to their 'owner' at about 2 days old.  He said that was 'normal' for wild stock. 

Hoping maybe you can find someone else to take on their duties until they are feathered enough to release safely.   They may calm down some when in the company of a large flock of more domestic birds.   But, they may not.  This is mother natures way of keeping them from becoming dinner.    It's nothing you have done, or not done.  Just their genetics kicking in.

Please don't put yourself at risk for an injury/infection, you have too much else to be here for!   

Keep us all posted, we care!  Ellen

This is exactly the problem I am facing with these guys, 5 are perfectly fine, seem to be interested in me, have the want to follow me but there that 1 naughty duckling who acts like a spaz and then the others follow suit..Wait, what, she's peeping and running like a chicken with her head cut off, we shall act that way as well, then all chaos breaks lose, screaming ducklings everywhere. I'm going to have to make a choice soon and will probably release them to the flock at the pond, I just don't know if they are old enough just yet :(

When I had ducks, they were great until they hit adolescence. After that, and until they became adults, they didn't like me much. I'm currently going through the same phase with my 7 week old chicks. They were all very friendly, but as always, they hit that time and become very anti-social. I don't take it as anything personal (and I hope you don't), because every single batch of chicks and ducks I've ever raised has been like this at this time in their lives. Your ducklings should socialize again, just give them a little time. :)

Also, you have an amazing story!

What age is adolescence??? I swear I feel like I'm dealing with my child in duck form: I give them life, I have sleepless nights, I devote all my time and energy into their well being and then they act like turds.... Smh

Back
Top Bottom