1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 for 1 bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickapooh23, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I am going to try to hatch some eggs in my homemade bator again. I have had poor hatches and am making some changes to my system to help inprove the temp control.

Right now it's just on and I am watching the temp. Then is hit me that the pepper seeds I started on Mon. do better with warm soil so I stuck them in there. Does anyone know if this will throw off the hatch if I would leave some of them in for the Hatch? (I do not have eggs in it and am looking at setting some next week.)

I put a couple of water bottles in there to help regular the temp but I was wondering if a plastic container with dirt would do the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I don't know about putting the dirt in the incubator, but you gave me a great idea. I could sit my seed starter tray on top of the incubator and the heat from the bator would heat the soil to help the germination process.

Thanks!

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Bacteria might be an issue. Don't want to make the eggies ill.

4. Chickapooh23

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Hey that's a good idea too. The dirt is is a container. I am not just throwing it in there. I cleaned my bator today before I hooked it up. And it isn't leaking anyway either.

5. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    we start are plants in a empty fish tank with lid and lights same thing we will use for brooder.

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Still, I would be weary. You don't know what bacteria and germs are in the dirt and just because it is in a container doesn't mean it won't contaminate the eggs.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If your using seed starter it's sterilized and usually doesn't even contain actual dirt. It should have no risk of bacteria. There is a slight risk of mold or fungus if it stays too wet though. The humidity might be an issue.

8. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Before planting the seeds, bake the dirt in the oven to kill fungi and bacteria...
    (we bake ours on our wood stove in the green house)

9. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    PM rebelcowboysnb, I believe they use put plants etc. in the bator to help w/ oxygen and humidity... I think it's a neat idea!

10. Chickapooh23

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:I haven't add water to the pan yet and the humidity is staying about 40 - 50%. What is the recommended humity for the first 18 days, 40%? Would that be too high?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by