1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 freakin' MONTHS gone to waste!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Year of the Rooster, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    After two MONTHS of blocking the nest boxes off with cardboard, my EE still insists on sleeping in the nest box!!! [​IMG] Every time I go to shut the coop, she is always in there and it ticks me off [​IMG] Anyone know I can do to stop this? Like put her in a crate for a night or two? Grrrrrrrrr....

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    have you tried curtains, on the nest boxes, I've had that work

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Not gone to waste! You have learned she is determined and maybe has a need for sleeping in the nest box (maybe she sleeps soundly and falls from the roost – or hates the others touching her)

I have a couple hens who prefer a wider roost – and so chose a 2x6 over the 2x4 – maybe offer her a wider (6 inch) roost.

4. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:I'm new to chickens but my guess is this post above is right: my EE's have a 4x6 roost attached to a huge platform...they're always falling off onto the platform. They also have two 14 inch WIDE shelves and they wrestle around so much they're always pushing each other off. Event the dang roo gets into shoving matches and birds hit the floor...bet she doesn't enjoy the antics.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Why do you perceive this as a problem great enough to be upset about?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:Because when a hen sleeps in a nest box she poops in the nest box and than a different hen lays an egg and you get a dirty egg

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Has she started laying eggs yet? I'm dealing with the same problem and dont plan to unblock the nest boxes at night until all of my hens are laying + a few extra weeks. I also added a larger/wider higher roost.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Because she is a YEAR OLD for god's sake and should know by now NOT to. Nest boxes are called nest boxes for a reason. Same thing with roosts.

And she has been laying since Feb./March.

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Because when a hen sleeps in a nest box she poops in the nest box and than a different hen lays an egg and you get a dirty egg

And then you have a dirty egg and you wash it off. Mine sleep in the nest boxes every night. I just change the pine bedding frequently and wash the eggs that are dirty. I figure the chicken knows what it needs to do so I don't interfere. I got tired of beating my head on that particular wall.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm not sure how your boxes are set up, but is it possible to remove them at night? Where did she sleep when the boxes were blocked off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by