2 Free chicks from middle school incubator... Help identify please.

:welcome The first one looks like a Mottled Houdan. There are so many breeds that have similar chick down to the second one, though, so it's hard to make a guess on it. Do you know what color egg it hatched out of?

Agreed on the first one - mottled Houdan

Based on pure popularity I'm guessing the bottom chick is an old english game bantam, or a beardless Easter egger. Could be either. But this is based purely on how common they both are. Knowing more info on them (like egg color or parents) would be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. sorry I can't give any other details. We literally inherited them Friday night at the football game. The teacher recieved the eggs from a university, so egg color would be all I could provide. But, not sure that would have been noted by the kids or the teacher. To the first commenter I looked up a houdan and found and exact picture of a chick that looks just like what we have. To the second commentor I will check out your suggestions on the second bird. Thanks again to everyone!

I agree with the others, the first may be a Mottled Houdan. I'm not sure on the other. The other chick is a breed with a Light Brown, Black Breasted Red, or Partridge color when it is feathered in- I'm not sure what breed, as many look similar as chicks. It can be hard to tell breed on chicks. I'd post more photos in a couple of weeks when they have feathers. We may be more sure on our guesses by then.

I agree with the others, the first may be a Mottled Houdan. I'm not sure on the other. The other chick is a breed with a Light Brown, Black Breasted Red, or Partridge color when it is feathered in- I'm not sure what breed, as many look similar as chicks. It can be hard to tell breed on chicks. I'd post more photos in a couple of weeks when they have feathers. We may be more sure on our guesses by then.
x2

Updated pic of my brown chick. Any suggestions yet?

Back
Top Bottom