2 month old chicks...curious behavior

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
Hi! I have 4 chicks and I just got them last Monday. So, I've spent a lot of time observing them and I don't quite understand this one behavior I'm seeing. One, who I'm thinking might be a cockerel, runs up to any of the other three who stretch their bodies out and flap their wings and chest butts them. The three seem to just be relishing life when they flap and, sometimes, run at the same time, but the 4th little one seems to interpret this as a challenge and runs up to face the interloper, hackles erected. The one doing the flapping just stands there and, then, the 4th one, after about 30 seconds starts to peck at the groung and all is peaceful. I have never seen any of the others run up to a sibling that does the behavior I described. It's just that one. Are they establishing a pecking order or what? Maybe it's just the equivalent of baby wolves or foxes that play fight? Any insights?

Play fights. Sometimes it is instrumental in determining pecking other although such actual fights are usually of very short duration for such aged birds.

X2
and the fighting doesn't mean rooster most chicks at that age are just figuring out the pecking order so some fighting might happen but for short periods of time

Well, thank you ALL!!! Then there's hope, after al, that Tweed could be a girl! Yay! One of the other three has started to take up his challenge now instead of just standing there. It's very interesting to watch!

Back
Top Bottom