2 month old Easter Eggers being jerks.

Andyjohn

Chirping
Aug 3, 2023
Central Georgia
Hey I have two Easter Eggers, they’re about two months old, so they currently still look like little raptors lol. They’re kind of being jerks. When I walk into their 4 x 6 enclosure they’ll go after my hand and peck quite aggressively. Their 8 sisters (different breeds) don’t do this. It’s more than a curious peck, they will approach fast and have actually broke a little skin in my hand before. We have a 6 month old and are doing everything we can to keep from having a-hole chickens. I haven’t noticed them aggressive with the other chickens. They are middle of the pack in size. I feed them mealworms from my hand and I handle them as often as I can. They used to be much more docile and were the easier ones to pick up. I make sure I talk softly and approach all my birds slowly, so I’d have a hard time thinking it was something I was doing. All of the others are great.

Any behavioral advice?

Thanks!

Hey I have two Easter Eggers, they’re about two months old, so they currently still look like little raptors lol. They’re kind of being jerks. When I walk into their 4 x 6 enclosure they’ll go after my hand and peck quite aggressively. Their 8 sisters (different breeds) don’t do this. It’s more than a curious peck, they will approach fast and have actually broke a little skin in my hand before. We have a 6 month old and are doing everything we can to keep from having a-hole chickens. I haven’t noticed them aggressive with the other chickens. They are middle of the pack in size. I feed them mealworms from my hand and I handle them as often as I can. They used to be much more docile and were the easier ones to pick up. I make sure I talk softly and approach all my birds slowly, so I’d have a hard time thinking it was something I was doing. All of the others are great.

Any behavioral advice?

Thanks!
Can you post pics?

Do you know if they're cockerels? Cockerels can be aggressive sometimes, and get more aggressive with age. If they are pullets, they might be doing this in hopes of a treat. I've had a few chickens who'll peck hard for treats, and others, who will literally grab a price of skin on my hand and twist hard- every single time (I have to warn people not to hand-feed those girls). With my girls who liked to peck and scratch me with their beaks, I sometimes had to give them a peck back with my hand until they stopped. Now, those girls don't peck me as much.

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 41
Do you know if they're cockerels? Cockerels can be aggressive sometimes, and get more aggressive with age. If they are pullets, they might be doing this in hopes of a treat. I've had a few chickens who'll peck hard for treats, and others, who will literally grab a price of skin on my hand and twist hard- every single time (I have to warn people not to hand-feed those girls). With my girls who liked to peck and scratch me with their beaks, I sometimes had to give them a peck back with my hand until they stopped. Now, those girls don't peck me as much.
Sorry, this is the best I have at the moment!
The one at the bottom that is circled is almost definitely a boy. Large comb for that age

Well, those two came from TSC, so supposedly they are sexed 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not sure how to tell yet. One has tail feathers, the other hasn’t sprouted any (if that means anything at all)

Back
Top Bottom