2 Month Old Polish Chick Not Doing so well

BoomChickaPop

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
Relaxing with my Buns
I have a white polish hen born May 2nd. Her name is Sleeping Beauty. She has a sister named Snow White, she is the same age and much bigger than Sleeping B. Sleeping B has a poopy butt, droopy wings, sleeps alot, and won't eat much. Her poop is normal, and she goes alot. She can stand up and walk around too. But she isn't eating like she used to, Her sister, is twice the size of her, and acts normal. She keeps her head up, and isn't limp. But she has lost some weight also.
Her parents are healthy and so are her siblings. Please help! I don't want to loose a POLISH!!!
I will post pics soon.
-BCP

I would treat them all for possible coccidiosis in their water. It won't harm the others, and there is no need to separate SB, since she will eventually build up resistance to cocci in the soil. Dosage is Corid powder 1 1/2 tsp. to a gallon of water. Corid Liquid dosage is 2 tsp per gallon, and treat them for 5 days. SB has to drink the medicated water or give it with a syringe. Offer them some chopped egg or tuna for extra protein. It is hard to tell dehydration from coccidiosis sometimes, but since SB is smaller and droopy, she sounds like she could have cocci.

Ok thankyou so much
She was in a pen with 50 other chicks. And I have kept her separated because of her getting stepped on. I noticed she has a slight limp too.
She eats and drinks better now. And is enjoying the sunshine with her sis.

-BCP

I have treatedi symptoms like yours successfully with intense vitamin therapy. Administer Nutridrench, PolyViSol, or any sort of water soluble poultry vitamin by syringe twice daily for as long as a week.
I do have a Blue Orpington pullet that has exactly the symptoms you describe, only they never go away. I think she has the chicken equivalent of Down's Syndrome or something similar, if that's possible. I mean that not in bad taste and with the utmost respect for people with Down's or other chromosomal differences. I honestly believe she has something going on at the genetic level. She's a fighter though and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort so I just do my best to make sure she's with birds who don't bully her, as she doesn't grow very fast, if at all.

I have treatedi symptoms like yours successfully with intense vitamin therapy. Administer Nutridrench, PolyViSol, or any sort of water soluble poultry vitamin by syringe twice daily for as long as a week.
I do have a Blue Orpington pullet that has exactly the symptoms you describe, only they never go away. I think she has the chicken equivalent of Down's Syndrome or something similar, if that's possible. I mean that not in bad taste and with the utmost respect for people with Down's or other chromosomal differences. I honestly believe she has something going on at the genetic level. She's a fighter though and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort so I just do my best to make sure she's with birds who don't bully her, as she doesn't grow very fast, if at all.
I have poultry electrolytes, would that work?
She moves around but her butt is really bad. I will probably have to give her a butt bath lol.
So can she die from what she has?

-BCP

I have poultry electrolytes, would that work?
She moves around but her butt is really bad. I will probably have to give her a butt bath lol.
So can she die from what she has?

-BCP

I don't know what's wrong with your chicken, any more than I know what is wrong with mine. I know what has worked for me for chickens with coccidosis symptoms.
If she seems to be declining health wise you can't hurt anything by trying some kind of treatment. If she seems about the same as she was a week or a month ago, you probably have a chicken with a genetic medical compromise, and will have to decide to keep or cull.

Electrolytes will have some vitamins but also lots of SALT and I don't think that is a good idea here.

Last edited:
I don't know what's wrong with your chicken, any more than I know what is wrong with mine. I know what has worked for me for chickens with coccidosis symptoms.
If she seems to be declining health wise you can't hurt anything by trying some kind of treatment. If she seems about the same as she was a week or a month ago, you probably have a chicken with a genetic medical compromise, and will have to decide to keep or cull.

Electrolytes will have some vitamins but also lots of SALT and I don't think that is a good idea here.
Ok I will keep researching on what to do
Thankyou for all your help @ShanandGem !

-BCP

I know, I have lost so many birds that way

-BCP

I have a new mantra when it comes to keeping chickens. "Nobody dies on my watch". I am always watching for subtle changes in behavior that may mean bullying or illness. Finding a sick bird early helps a ton.

Back
Top Bottom