2 out of 3 hens killed!

Unfortunately, this is one of the drawbacks of free ranging birds. I'm to chicken (pun intended) to let my birds out when I'm not around.

Sorry about your loss....
sad.png

Quote:
Here in the UK that is not really true. I have lost chickens to a fox that killed 7, took one away and would obviously have come back for the rest if left undisturbed. I have also lost 8 chickens and a Saxony duck and drake in the same kill to a polecat - it also took one away having killed everything else. Your wire looks big enough to let any small preadator through - it is really difficult to protect against everything but I still think free ranging is the best for chickens during the day here - as long as they are secured at night. Sorry for your loss.

I too had a fox come through at noon one day. It killed 5 but only took one.

There was also the raccoon that got in one night. I opened up the door the next day to find 3 bodies but only one missing.

We've also had Cooper's hawks that will eat just the head and leave the rest.

-Cindy in MA

Quote:
The only wolves to be found in the country north of Toronto would be one that escaped from the Toronto Zoo.

Coyotes are in the area tho. With the one being buried, I would say a dog is responsible.

Last edited:
Members of the weasel family will build a cache of food as will bobcats and fox. Look for tracks in the area to determine what you are dealing with. Covering the cache is also a trait of cats, whether big or small.

Back
Top Bottom