2 Roos

CH1KENZ

Hatching
Feb 24, 2016
Ok, so i have 15 chickens right now, and soon i will be moving them into our new 8x6 coop with a huge run. Outof the 15, im pretty sure i have two roosters... They have grown up together, so would it be ok for me to keep them both? Thanks for the help.
Han

How old are your chickens? I had 2 roos to begin with, of course it was by accident, so I never intended on keeping both. I wanted to let them grow out as much as possible so I could pick the one I liked the most, they were Ameraucanas. They were raised together from hatch, but once they got to mating they would fight very bad, I had to seperate them, and I went ahead and got rid of one. I have 19 hens to my one roo right now, and a few of my hens have bare backs and a few more at the start of bare back. I keep the roo in his own coop, the Bachelor Pad! . I let him out in the mornings for 2 or 3 hours while the hens are still cooped and laying their eggs, then I put him up and open the hens coops. He gets out one afternoon a week with the other chickens, the others free range most of the day, everyday. I have chicks coming up as well, so I will be having a lot more laying in a few months. But I am still only going to have the one roo. So I would def keep an eye on the hens and watch the feathers on their backs for damage, then you know if hes over mating them. I would suggest a bachelor pad it has helped me so much.

Last edited:
You have some good advice. I had two little fellas that were only 3.5 months old fight until they were in such a state i culled them both. They free ranged, so confinement / lack of escape options were the not the issue. I'm not suggesting this is common, but reinforces the need to keep a close eye on their behaviour between themselves and your girls.

CT

Ok, so i have 15 chickens right now, and soon i will be moving them into our new 8x6 coop with a huge run. Outof the 15, im pretty sure i have two roosters... They have grown up together, so would it be ok for me to keep them both? Thanks for the help.
Han
Welcome to BYC!

It's gonna be crowded in there with just the girls once they are full grown.
I'd get rid of both boys..... and maybe some girls too.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers suggestions.

@AuntNomi
The two mean so much to me, so it would be a hard choice to choose x3 they are both silver pheonixes, very small compared to the rest of the hens. If they end up fighting or overbreesing the hens, i might try and see if i can keep one in my old coop... and they are still pretty young at about a bit over a month, all feathered out.
@aart i can ensure you they wont be crowded xD with two feet of perch space each, 5 egg boxes, and more run space then they could wish for... yeh, they wont be crowded...

I love my chickens so much, and it means alot that you guys are willing to help me out with this

Last edited:
Hopefully that works out for you. I would def use the old coop as well for a bachelor pad, makes it more peaceful. Or you may need to use it to house some of the flock if they get crowded. I know you said it would not, but I see your coop size is 8x6. All my coops are either 10x10 and 2 of them are 10x12, and I have 8- 12 chickens in each one. the one with 12 chickens is 10x12 and its small for 12 chickens. I don't see how big your run is, so I don't know about that. We don't have runs just the coops, and ours free range during the days. Best of luck to you.

@AuntNomi
The two mean so much to me, so it would be a hard choice to choose x3 they are both silver pheonixes, very small compared to the rest of the hens. If they end up fighting or overbreesing the hens, i might try and see if i can keep one in my old coop... and they are still pretty young at about a bit over a month, all feathered out.
@aart i can ensure you they wont be crowded xD with two feet of perch space each, 5 egg boxes, and more run space then they could wish for... yeh, they wont be crowded...

I love my chickens so much, and it means alot that you guys are willing to help me out with this
How do you get 30 feet of roost (you have 15 birds correct?) into an 8x6 coop..and still have landing and walking around space?
Can you post a pic of that?

Also curious, what is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks better understand your situation, allow them to make better suggestions, and give more appropriate answers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom