2 roosters with hens?

Chicona

Songster
May 22, 2022
i have had chickens 10 years now, and i have a old rescue rooster who was rescued from wild being tormented, had him 5 years, he is a scardey cat, runs from us all the time, but if ya get hold of him he burys his head in ya, he knows ur ok aslong as ya slow, but cant wait to get away , he gets worried at any sound sneeze a kid a gate a fence, where he looks around and makes a noise alerting the girls he be aware, quite funny, he spent agis gifting girls treats till they let him on, like weeks for some birds he has 2 girls as his flock got old and died, i wana get him more girls, when i rescused him he was sat quiet in a pen with another cock and the lady said he never crows, since i gave him girls its all he does lol

we have a 2 year old cornish cock in the other flock, he i egg raised, hes a baby if anyone goes in he wil peck ya and sort a spot for you to sit and make u sit down so he can lay on ya lap and get stroked on his cheeks, if i get up he wants to be held and however i hold him he trusts i have him he never flaps, hes a big softy, when he met his girls he was vicious!! he chased them immediatly all 8 of them grabbed them and didnt let them say no , that lasted a week now they do everything he tells em to, hge rounds them up he takes them home puts them in random spots lol, the chickens can see eachother, and have a glass screen between them, he has 8 girls

my first cock the soft 1 will charge the glass at my cornish all day peck peck peck, at him thru the glasss where my cornish just stands there treating him and his girls lol, so we expected the soft cock to be violent if they met, but knowing cornish history of his breed he woudl hold his own as a 4kg bird with my other scaredy cock being 2.7kg show feathers,

my wonder came as my cornish got out and was strolling across the front of the other coop at a mesh fence , the scardey cock didnt attack liek at the glass, instead acted in a treating way like he was gifting him stuff,
this made me think if they would be together if they would get along and he would back down,

i am wondering if i can open them all up and let them sort it out if they have enough girls or if it wil end bad,.

8BD7D897-C0E4-4C1E-A620-A4DF7783513B.jpeg
8D0F15FE-870C-4940-BAF5-E39AA2234FDE.jpeg
A8304706-4632-4068-BFBE-19B7EEFB9EC0.jpeg
33B3B541-A460-4D00-B289-C6B3063B4298.jpeg
AFE6612B-0798-4BC5-8A73-6A16A51E971C.jpeg
AC732478-C394-41BB-A0F6-FA9E9D10884A.jpeg

i am wondering if i can open them all up and let them sort it out if they have enough girls or if it wil end bad,.
Sounds like he was being baited.. like come over here so I can get you.. and you should expect a fight..

Gifting something in the chicken world means.. I am dominant.. and the taker is the less dominant one.

They'd not be "working it out" at this age for my flock.. though it may be possible. There WILL be some blood shed, maybe swollen eyes, and other possible injuries.

Those 2 ladies.. that are currently Softee's may quickly become harem to the Cornish (he sounds like he knows how to command a flock).. and your old man *may* be left all alone.. just a straggler on the outside of the group. Noting it's not the size of the bird in the fight.. it is the size of the fight in the bird.. I've had Silkies whoop up on Marans and others.

I personally never keep less than 2 roosters if possible.. but they have always been introduced when at least one if not both was still juvenile.. which they have still had some fights later on as hormones come on and they disagree about certain things.. by not interfering too soon.. they've always worked it out and gone to roost together at the end of the day. Your mileage WILL vary!

I advise against the comingling with both roosters.. but also understand the need/desire to unite the flocks.

:fl

They don't call it cockfighting for nothing. And most roosters are opportunistic. Might be with you standing there, they don't think the odds are in their favor. With you gone, could be a wreck.

What I think will happen is the old one will be badly beaten and an outcast. The younger bird will be the flock master, the old one an outcast. Now if there is enough room, and I think you are short on room, he may live. Too small of area, he could be injured or killed.

On the other hand, they might work it out, no one really knows.

Mrs K

When I separated my 2 roosters in a divided run and split my flock accordingly my hens found a secret passageway and picked which rooster they liked.The other guys a spare now but the hens visit him.

In spite of mine roosting side by side every night they still pecked each others feathers out over the hens and never drew blood.My hens and roosters look better now and I'm getting more eggs but above all I finally have peace in the flock.I fear throwing those two together won't end as well as mine and hope you're ready for the chaos that will ensure .Sounds to me like the old guys better to the hens

Back
Top Bottom