2 week baby chicks and grit

Zombrit

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Henderson, NV
First time giving my chicks grit (2 weeks old) I only left it in their brooder a couple hours. Just wondering what to do if they over indulged, is there anything I can give them to ensure they don't impact?

Chicks DO NOT NEED GRIT, if being fed crumbles feed. If you are feeding grains, then yes grit is needed. Don't worry about them overindulging. Grit does not cause impacted crop as I know it. :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

They definitely don’t need grit...it won’t hurt them per se, but if they fill up on it instead of chick crumble, they aren’t going to get all the protein and other nutrients essential to healthy growth.

Chicks DO NOT NEED GRIT, if being fed crumbles feed. If you are feeding grains, then yes grit is needed. Don't worry about them overindulging. Grit does not cause impacted crop as I know it. :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
They definitely don’t need grit...it won’t hurt them per se, but if they fill up on it instead of chick crumble, they aren’t going to get all the protein and other nutrients essential to healthy growth.

Okay so the only reason I started them on the grit was because I read on here that they need grit the day before you start to give them anything other then the chick starter. I wanted to start giving them snacks, as I also read that if you start them with a variety early they won't be as picky about food later on.
I'm a bit confused with the conflicting information that I read on here, because I read that there is the risk of them eating too much.
I'm not even sure if they ate too much of it, but just wanted to see if there was anything to do/feed them ensure it doesn't happen
Thanks.
Im loving my little babies and only want the best for them!

chicks will not “fill up on grit” instead of crumble. The grit will pass to where it is needed including all the way out if they have enough for use.

at 2 weeks I have been giving grit to chicks for 10 days or more by that point.Usually the first time they will eat it all which freaks people out. It’s no problem at all.

I definitely recommend feeding grit to chicks as early as possible. Not oyster shell which is totally different - Insoluble GRIT. The reason is, for example, couple days ago I looked in on my 5 day old chicks and one was swallowing a cockroach the size of a nickel! This is why They need grit even if YOU are only feeding them crumble , and they need it to develop their gizzard!

this isn’t true, birds don’t fill up on grit. Grit is part of their natural intake/outtake. If chicks are already eating their food for a day or two, you won’t make them have issues by supplying grit, either on some of their food or free choice.

this isn’t true, birds don’t fill up on grit. Grit is part of their natural intake/outtake. If chicks are already eating their food for a day or two, you won’t make them have issues by supplying grit, either on some of their food or free choice.
I said "if" they fill up on it...I've have a couple chicks that when introduced to grit, would rather eat that than their crumble. They even ate it without eating the actual treat that was offered along with it. I read a few different threads on backyard chickens about being careful with offering too much. Our chicks are strictly monitored inside until they are fully feathered, so they don't get any extra treats unless offered by us...so grit is not an ongoing part of their diet. I've always been told chick crumble is sufficient unless being exposed to anything else.

I said "if" they fill up on it...I've have a couple chicks that when introduced to grit, would rather eat that than their crumble. They even ate it without eating the actual treat that was offered along with it. I read a few different threads on backyard chickens about being careful with offering too much. Our chicks are strictly monitored inside until they are fully feathered, so they don't get any extra treats unless offered by us...so grit is not an ongoing part of their diet. I've always been told chick crumble is sufficient unless being exposed to anything else.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/154672684.pdf

You're getting different advice because everyone handles things differently. I brood outdoors and I believe Doc7 does as well. Right away my chicks will eat dirt, wood shavings, tiny leaves, bugs... so because of that, they get grit right away as well. It certainly won't hurt them to have it, even if you're brooding inside with chick starter only - they just don't "need" it yet in that case.

Back
Top Bottom