2 week old chick a rooster?

bendystar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
San Diego
Hi! I got two speckled Sussex and one Americauna for mother's day! They are about 2 weeks old. One of the Sussex protests loud to being held if she's out by herself. She is so loud (like a car alarm) that it hurts my ears, so I end up putting her back with the others. Is behavior any indication of having a male? The other Sussex loves to be held and pet and will go to sleep. Not this one! Is it just personality or should I worry?

I'm a first time chicken owner and this forum is a life saver! Thanks to all my peeps!

Wendy in SD.

I am fairly new myself as well, and I started with four chicks. I was able to bring the EE and one of the BR pullets out without much fuss alone, but if I brought out the other BR chick she wouldn't take it so well. And she did end up being a girl.

At the same time though, I did have one EE cockerel, who would flip his lid if his girls went out of sight. He was harder to catch then the rest, more flighty, but when I put his girls into the 'transport bin' to bring them inside or out, Sulo would jump in after them. So I wouldn't have to chase his peeping head down. And believe me, he sounded much more urgent then my BR pullet did.

Just showing my own experience
smile.png
I am not familiar with the breed in question though, but I do know noisy and put offish hens lol
smile.png

P.S.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom