2 week old chick acting strange

Prairiewillow

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
After the "wonderful" day I am having, I am hoping this is going to be just one of those dorky "newbie" questions... If its not, I dont want to ignore it and lose one of my girls if she could be helped. Ok, a little back story, just in case it is contributing. Last night I extended my plastic tub brooder by cutting holes in sides of two tubs and adding a cardboard box "tunnel". Both are covered with old window screens to keep chickies in and kitties out. The original side has the heat lamp, food and water, and perch, while the new part just has pine shavings and is near a heater (safe one). The girlies seem to like going into the new part and hanging out, while they still go in under the lamp to sleep for the night.
This morning I noticed one of my Rhode Islands (aka Gertrude) laying on her side, kicking at the litter. It almost seemed like she couldnt get up, but when I moved the screen to pick her up, she went running along with all the others. I thought maybe she had been injured, and kept watching her, but then I noticed several more of them doing the same thing. They seemed to be kicking the pine shavings up onto their backs and/or "nesting" in it... Will babies this young try to take dust baths? Im a little paranoid... Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom