2 week old chick open mouth breathing

pappy1264

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Two weeks ago, my friend and I got chicks from Agway. Something had happened and when the shipment arrived at the store, more then half were dead, the others were cold. We took our babies home, warmed them up, helped getting them going with eating and drinking. I ultimately lost 5, she lost four. I got new ones, all mine are great. She chose not to get replacements. One of her barred rocks last week, after having been fine, suddenly started breathing very fast, open mouth breathing, she thought she was going to loose her that night. Well, she didn't. A week later, chick is still breathing that way, but is eating, drinking, etc (she is the biggest chick). I spoke to Ashley (the girl that handles the chicks) and she said to get this duramycin but to also post on here about it. The others are fine, none are doing this strange breathing thing. Anyone ever seen this (they are warm enough, not getting a draft, etc)? Anyone else have any ideas? I have a quick video but I cannot seem to post it. Thank you.

No, the temp is fine, if you saw the video. She even does it when she is out of the brooder (just for a minute). The others also are fine, none of them are doing that. It looks more like she is trying to take a huge breath because she isn't getting enough air (like when you have a stuffy nose, and you are mouth breathing) but no nostril discharge, or sounds from her chest/nostrils.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom