2 Week old Chick with possible resp. infect. NEED IMMEDIATE ADVICE FOR TREATING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Then I Will, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I will say that "most" Tractor Supply stores have Tylan50 on the shelf (at least here in N.C.) - it is in injectable form. Depending on your store you may have to ask for it.

"Water soluble" antibiotics are prescription only .

I agree with Kathy (@casportpony ) - Tetracycline is usually not all that effective for what your wanting to use it for.

Wickedchicken6 and casportpony like this.
  2. Then I Will

Then I Will Songster

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    Yes. I've seen the Tylan50 in our TSC. I can't make it out today, but will consider it tomorrow if conditions don't appear improved. From what I read on other BYC respiratory posts, Tylan50 does not treat the disease, only the symptoms, correct?
    I am puzzled, because the bubbles in the corners of her eyes have disappeared on their own but she is still sneezing and has watery eyes. Poop still normal and is eating and drinking like a little pig.

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You are correct - Tylan50 (or any antibiotic) does not "cure" the disease - antibiotics will only help treat any secondary infections associated with the disease. Even if a bird recovers and shows no further symptoms, they are still considered carriers.

Keep watch on the eyes - it's always possible that she may not have a respiratory illness at all - things like dry dusty bedding/feed, poor ventilation and molds can bring on symptoms as well. But without testing - there's no way to know the cause, whether environment or illness.

4. Then I Will

Then I Will Songster

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    So basically... since I had hopes to breeding these birds to sell and for show.... If I find this spreading to the other birds, I would have to get rid of this flock and start over if this is a respiratory illness. Because there would be no way to sell/show my fancy breed as carriers of respiratory problems. :he

So far, nobody else in that box is coming down with anything, so I'm really praying its just some sort of allergy to the pine shavings.

5. Then I Will

Then I Will Songster

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    I gave her head a few sniffs and found a really sweet smell about her drainage. My internet research says that the sweet smell denotes that it is Mycoplasma.

Murray McMurray says they guarantee healthy birds. How does a 2 weeks old chick come down with something like this?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Since you have breeding, selling and showing goals, it would be in your best interest to have some testing done. You definitely don't want a contagious respiratory illness with these plans.

I would be interested in the research you found that notes that Mycoplasma mucous/drainage smells sweet - I've never ran across this before, do you have some links?

Mycoplasma can be transmitted both vertically and horizontally - meaning it can be transmitted "transovarian" (vertically through the egg from parent stock) OR horizontally (from bird to bird through mucous, dust, dander, etc.). Not all respiratory illnesses are transmitted vertically.

I would contact Murray McMurray - I have never dealt with them, but I believe they do participate in NPIP which I would assume they test AI (Avian Influenza) free/clear. Some e hatcheries also test for Salmonella and possibly Pullorum as well. It depends on what state and what is required.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, but your best next step would be having some testing performed.

Keep us posted.

7. Then I Will

Then I Will Songster

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    I've called a dozen vets in my area. Despite Annville PA being a farming town, 99% of these vets are dog-cat sort of vets.
    I was finally directed by an elderly veterinarian with no office staff (I probably phoned his house) to the Harrisburg Agricultural lab next to the Farm show complex. Another kind gentleman at the lab informed me that they could test the birds for around $.50 a test, but I would have to draw the blood and 1 ML from each chick is going to tax their systems. It's not normally performed on birds that young.
    I admitted that I was a certified phlebotomist but I had not experience with drawing poultry.
    Right now I am waiting on a potential avian vet or person who knows where I can get the drawing needles blood vials to get back with me. And even after that, will have to make the decision of whether or not to draw on birds so young.
    Next call is McMurray...

8. Then I Will

Then I Will Songster

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    Shocking. McMurray birds are tested for everything under the sun BUT MG.....
    The customer service rep said that they practice Bio-security on the farms where the breeding stock are but since MG can get picked up almost anywhere it was possible....

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't think most hatcheries test for MG.

Since your chicks are so young and it's most likely all are exposed to whatever you are dealing with, you may want to wait until they are older to get testing done or only take a sample from the sickest one and send it.

Hopefully the Avian vet will contact you and be able to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: