2 week old chicks, Bad pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickybums, May 25, 2012.

1. chickybums

chickybums In the Brooder

May 25, 2012
    Picked up 5 chickens yesterday from a hatchery BPF, in BC.
    3 chicks are Ameraucana, and one has a very pasty butt that looks NOTHING like the other 2 Ameraucanas.
    1 chick is a 2 week old Silkie and she seems to be fine
    and last is a 13 week old Red silkie sex I have NO CLUE lol pic below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and the Last 3 pics I am wondering the proper easiest way to clean the one's bum as i tried with a moist paper towel even had to dip its bum int eh water didn't get it all but most, today its all caked up again. ( its the lil black chicky) Took pics on my phone but unsure how to post. , hope this works, Also what do you think my red silkie is as This is my first time having chicks, so I will probably be asking a LOT of questions :O) [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] Very Red Puffy sore scabbed bum on black Ameraucana 2 week old chick, bum looks different then ALL teh other chiks. ANY HELP APPRECIATED GREATLY, I want to save my chicks :O)

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh dear. Well yes I would say that washing the little guys bum in warm water would be the best idea.
    Dont get him all wet, just his butt, and have a warm towel fresh from the dryer ready along with a hair dryer.
    Once the poop is able to be removed, dry and wrap! Hehe, thats what I had to do for my little D'uccle who's butt refused to stay clean as a baby.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickybums

May 25, 2012
    | did gt most of it off, she/he who knows lol but IT was not happy, the blowdryer was not her favorite thing either. bum looks a little sore and near the bottom of her vent its just tooooo scabbed on so i removed the best i could without ripping off her skin, so I vasalined her right up and so far she is ok,
    But they sure do hate me when ever I go and look at them *sigh*
    Red however seems to be enjoying the coop outside on his/her own.

any guesses on his/her sex?

4. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Do you blame them? The wind monster tried to get them!
    With lots of treats in hand they will warm up eventually!
    As for your Silky, I wana say girl. It looks like my little Twitter when she was that age!

5. chickybums

May 25, 2012
    His/her butt is still bad no longer pasty as that was dealt with but the last few days its been white running down and took a close lookand I think the but is closing up, its but is way different from the other 4 chickens.IDK what to do, I think it may die cus its very little still compared to the others

6. chickybums

May 25, 2012
    I have a new post as the black chicks bum is SEALING UP????? I have no idea and pics are on that thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: