2 week old chicks dying (odd behavior + diarrhea)

So, I got a strange question... I had just gotten back home when I posted the previous message and hadn't yet looked at my brooder. I found something that has me confused. The other day I noticed small sticks in the brooder, twigs between 2-4" long and about idk 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. I paid it no mind because I had given them grass to play with. But I just found more in there and I haven't given them any more grass, there is no reason for small twigs to be in there... And while they look like twigs they have a definitive "smooth" quality to the "bark" that has me thinking that this is in fact droppings. But, these chicks are only two weeks old and the "twigs" are almost as long as their bodies from vent to beak. I broke one of them in two and it has an outer "bark layer" and then an inner layer that looks more like feed than wood fibers.

Is this something that can happen or has a long day working in the Texas sun gotten to me?

ACV won't cure anything. It's a nutritional supplement.

All vets that do fecal floats for cows, horses, dogs and cats can do a fecal float for chickens. Poop is poop, and fecal floats all detect parasites in the poop or will be negative. Assure your skittish vet that they do not need to see any of your chickens or come up with any sort of treatment plan. All you need from them is to run the floatation on the poop and give you the results. You will take full responsibility for treatment. It shouldn't cost much more than $20.

ACV won't cure anything. It's a nutritional supplement.

All vets that do fecal floats for cows, horses, dogs and cats can do a fecal float for chickens. Poop is poop, and fecal floats all detect parasites in the poop or will be negative. Assure your skittish vet that they do not need to see any of your chickens or come up with any sort of treatment plan. All you need from them is to run the floatation on the poop and give you the results. You will take full responsibility for treatment. It shouldn't cost much more than $20.
I wouldn't say they were skittish. If anything they seemed pompous, the first one said "hah, no I don't do chickens". If the quick chick doesn't seem to have any effect I think I might just go and pick up some antibiotics anyway. I really don't want my first experience farming to be losing an entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom