2 week old Gosling

RitzyBud

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Maine
2 weeks ago I purchased 4 ducklings and 1 gosling, after about a week the ducks started picking on the gosling so I went back and purchased another gosling for my current one. When I purchased the newer gosling I knew it didn't seem to healthy and yesterday morning I woke up and it was dead. Now heres my question, today my gosling has been sleeping a lot and trying to stay away from the ducks ( but the ducks love to cuddle! ) the gosling is still eating and drinking, but does it sound like the gosling is depressed over losing her friend? And should I buy another gosling if she is depressed?

I am sorry for your loss. I would definitely get another gosling. They are social animals and are much happier when they have friends.

My ducklings hatched about a week before my gosling. Out of three gosling eggs, I only got one gosling. He imprinted on me and was very lonely. I tried putting him in with the ducks and they picked on him. I then moved just one of the ducks into the brooder with the gosling and they bonded. You may try that. I tried several ducks before I found a real sweet one and they are best of buddies. That could work for you - I watched them real close for a while before leaving them alone. Good luck.

2 weeks ago I purchased 4 ducklings and 1 gosling, after about a week the ducks started picking on the gosling so I went back and purchased another gosling for my current one. When I purchased the newer gosling I knew it didn't seem to healthy and yesterday morning I woke up and it was dead. Now heres my question, today my gosling has been sleeping a lot and trying to stay away from the ducks ( but the ducks love to cuddle! ) the gosling is still eating and drinking, but does it sound like the gosling is depressed over losing her friend? And should I buy another gosling if she is depressed?
What tia suggested is good if there´s not another option. But it doesn´t sound like your gosling is interested in their company...gozzies just need other gozzies.
I just hope the new gosling didn´t pass on anything (why it was sick, for instance) to your present one. Even though it lost its friend, it should be shouting really loudly and being very active, and it doesn´t sound like it is.
I really would suggest getting 3 more goslings if you can (assuming there´s no illness). With goslings, the more the merrier...and you can always sell 2 on later. But just be sure that it´s not sick first. What are you feeding it? Does it have enough heat? etc

I can't transfer any ducklings into a different brooder with the gosling unfortunatley because the ducklings have paired up and imprinted on one another.
I'm feeding Nature Wise Gamebird feed, we were feeding Dumor Chick starter and grower but I believe that's what might of killed my gosling so I switched. The temp in their pen is 93

I can't transfer any ducklings into a different brooder with the gosling unfortunatley because the ducklings have paired up and imprinted on one another.
I'm feeding Nature Wise Gamebird feed, we were feeding Dumor Chick starter and grower but I believe that's what might of killed my gosling so I switched. The temp in their pen is 93
That´s very warm. You could lower it a little., to about 80...then lower by 5º each week. Give your little gosling a mirror while you try to find a friend or two. A mirror helps a great deal. How is the gozzie? is it very sleepy still? Could just be the heat?
I don´t know much about feeds in the States, others know more than me, but I do know that goslings really need a lot of good grass and greens and a friend..

Temp has been lowered, it's around 85 in there right now. I think I'll call over to where I bought these guys and see if he has any goslings and if he does I'll definitely go pick one up!
Right now the gosling seems to like the others company, they're laying in a sun spot. Thank you for the mirror idea! I'll try that until I get another gosling :)

Temp has been lowered, it's around 85 in there right now. I think I'll call over to where I bought these guys and see if he has any goslings and if he does I'll definitely go pick one up!
Right now the gosling seems to like the others company, they're laying in a sun spot. Thank you for the mirror idea! I'll try that until I get another gosling :)
Don´t forget pics!!
big_smile.png

This is when I first got them, before I went back and got the 2nd Cayuga and 2nd Gosling

When i first got the 2nd gosling. Definitley a size difference!

She was definitely protective of the newer gosling :)

Back
Top Bottom