2 week old partialy bald chick

TadsMinion

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
North Coast , Cakifornia
Hi, I'm new to the whole chicken thing and one of my 2 week old cochins is, well, very bald in patches. I can see new feathers forming in some of the spots but some places no fuzz and no feathers. The only odd behavior is the chick likes to waddle/crawl to the feeder instead of standing up occasionally. Is this just some normal yet weird feather delay, mites, a vitamin issue or gender/breed issue? Will it get enough feathers? The other chicks are having no issues and I don't know if they are preening ,scratching more that usual or if I am just noticing due to worries of parasites.

Oh that is good to know, I was scared they had mites or something.
IMG_20190615_164025_hdr.jpg
Here he/she is. My husband says it's because it is a cockerel. Poor wee thing looks so shabby compared to the others.

If it's eating and drinking and running around normally with the others, probably normal. And yes, probably a cockerel! I would monitor to be sure the crop is full at bedtime or throughout the day, that the others aren't bullying him away from food and water.

Looking at the picture, I believe that one has frizzled feathers. I'm just hoping it isn't frazzled. Two copies of the frizzle gene results in brittle feathers rather than just a frizzled look.

Looking at the picture, I believe that one has frizzled feathers. I'm just hoping it isn't frazzled. Two copies of the frizzle gene results in brittle feathers rather than just a frizzled look.
Thanks for all the replies. I am wondering now too if he is a frazzle. I am finding broken bits of wee black curly feathers in the brooder. I have not observed any feather pulling or pecking from the others, not to say it isn't happening. Baldy (his name so far) seems to be a favorite for the littlest silkies to snuggle next to at night, I guess his lack of plumage makes him more like a chick heater?
I will try to get pics later of the feather strands, Baldy and his clutch mate. I was really just wanting normal feathered, non bantam cochin pullets. :idunno

So, anyone have an idea when he will get feathered enough to go out? Here is an updated pic of Baldy, he/she is about 3 1/2 weeks now.
IMG-0251(1).JPG
IMG-0255 (2019-06-26T19_15_28.304).JPG
Here is one of his hatch mate "Disco", for comparison .
IMG-0256(1).JPG

We tend to have cooler weather, fog and wind. The temps are approximately 63F (17 C) to 45 F (7C) on average. We are subject to coastal conditions which means the hotter inland, the foggier , cooler it is here in summer.
He gets along well with the chooks still in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom