2 week old sick chick

Kprestridge

Chirping
May 27, 2019
We just got home from the store and I noticed that one of our chicks, Miss Wing, is not acting normally. She is one day shy of 2 weeks old. She is an Americana (Easter eggers hybrid). She looks puffed up, her wings and head are drooping, and her crop is empty. She was okay earlier today, she was held but I don't think she was injured at all. My 5 year old is pretty careful.
I have pictures of her, the chick brooder, and her next to another chick...she is not growing as fast as the others... She only looks a similar size because she is puffed up. They are all the same breed, we have 14
0527192026.jpg
0527192026a.jpg
0527192026c.jpg
0527192028.jpg
0527192026b.jpg
. We are feeding Purina medicated chick starter. I did turn off the heating lamp today since it is between 80-85 in our house right now. Everyone else seems okay, active and normal. I'm not sure what could be wrong. Most of the poops I have seen are solid. Could it be coccidiosis even with the medicated feed? I have been freshening the water several times a day, and I have it on a tray up on bricks to try to keep it clean, and have been cleaning the feeder of chips and poop several times daily. Any ideas what could be wrong with our little Miss Wing?

I just remembered that yesterday and today we let them all eat a little bit of chopped tomato, and also some marigold petals from in front of our house. I read it was good to give them dirt, so a few days ago we gave them a chunk of dirt with grass to peck at. I tried to give them egg but they snubbed it.

What’s the temp now? She could be cold. If she starts falling asleep and not waking up easily, it could be failure to thrive, but otherwise. Are they vaccinated? Your brooder setup looks really nice, by the way.

What’s the temp now? She could be cold. If she starts falling asleep and not waking up easily, it could be failure to thrive, but otherwise. Are they vaccinated? Your brooder setup looks really nice, by the way.

Thank you :)
It is 81 in my house right now, the chicks are going to sleep and don't seem too cold/huddled. They are not vaccinated for anything. I am in Oklahoma. Here is a picture of them, miss wing is the dark colored one sleeping on top of another, she likes to do that. She is small, but a sweet chick.
0527192201.jpg

Hi! Do your chicks have access to chick grit? (they need grit to digest anything other than feed).

Have you seen Miss Wing poop? Constipation treatment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-little-but-doesnt-eat.1302120/#post-21211101

Did you check her vent for pasty bottom?

Cocci can happen even with medicated feed. Do you have Corid?

I did check her for pasty bum, and she is okay, no pasty bum. I have not given them chick grit! I also do not have Corid, I can get both from tractor supply tomorrow morning. Miss Wing has been eating and drinking, and active until tonight but I haven't watched her to see if she poops.

Can you get a picture of her poop?
I would make chick grit available free choice, you can find it in feed stores like Tractor Supply.

Do you have an Corid on hand? If she were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Can you get a picture of her poop?
I would make chick grit available free choice, you can find it in feed stores like Tractor Supply.

Do you have an Corid on hand? If she were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
I don't have a picture of her poop. I could probably isolate her tomorrow until she poops, I would like her to be able to cuddle with her sisters tonight. Looking in the brooder now I only see solid poops, I did see one earlier that was runny but brown..but it looked like a cecal(spelling?) Poop picture I had seen. I haven't seen anything bloody. I don't have Corid, I will go to tractor supply in the morning and get chick grit and Corid. Hopefully she makes it through the night :( She seemed fine earlier today. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom