Baby chick barely stays awake, drinks little but doesn't eat..

Ccruz0208

Hatching
Apr 10, 2019
Good afternoon everyone. I recently got some baby chicks last Thursday and everything had been going great until this morning. One of the chicks (Roadie, a Rhode Island Red) seemed very sluggish and is barely able to stay awake. I'm going to post the information in the format that the sticky requests:

1. Rhode Island Red; about a week and a half old.

2. Very sluggish, barely stays awake, won't eat and only drinks if we dip beak in water (sometimes). Seems to perk up when we lowered the lamp a little, but only to move away from it. We put the lamp back to its original position.

3. Has been showing these symptoms since this morning.

4. None of the other chicks share these symptoms.

5. No bleeding, injuries or signs of trauma.

6. We had brought them to the backyard yesterday briefly since it was beautiful and warm outside. They were out for around 15-20 minutes before being put back into their enclosure.

7. The chick hasn't eaten much if anything today at all, but their feed is the "Blue Seal Poultry Feed: Home Fresh starter" from Tractor Supply. The medicated one. We've given her some water with a little bit of Nutri-Drench. After giving her some of that she proceeded to poop.

8. Her poop is watery for lack of a better term. No blood or unusual coloring (mostly clear) but I'm assuming that's because she won't eat.

9. At first we tried separating her from the rest of the chicks in case she had caught something contagious. This seemed to just stress her out and she would occasionally try to escape the small temporary enclosure we made for her and peep loudly. We put her back for the moment. We've tried feeding her food such as her normal feed, hard boiled egg, and even yogurt. Shes eaten VERY little if any at all. She drinks occasionally when we dip her beak in the water.

10. Just want to know whats wrong and what the best course of action would be. Whether that would entail treating her at home or seeking outside help. I love these chicks.

11. Nothing seems out of the ordinary about the chick looks-wise. Just constantly sleeping and sluggish. Occasionally wakes up and pecks/walks around. I've included pictures of her, including the poop she took on my hand while I was taking the pics.

12. I've included a picture of their housing.

Thank you everyone, I'm hoping to learn and make her feel better as soon as possible.
20190410_175938.jpg
20190410_175943.jpg
20190410_175955.jpg
20190410_180003.jpg
20190410_180013.jpg
20190410_175938.jpg
20190410_175943.jpg
20190410_175955.jpg
20190410_180003.jpg
20190410_180013.jpg

**Edit:
The pictures seemed to double post and I'm not sure why. I apologize in advance.

Also, just to throw it out there, we have never had chickens before and no chickens have been on the property prior. Thanks again.

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed and informative explanation. It sure does help.

Have you felt the chick's crop? Do you feel a hard lump? Has the chick been pooping since you noticed it being sick?

One of the most common setbacks a baby chick can have at this age is constipation. It comes on very suddenly and can kill just as suddenly if treatment isn't give immediately. Since time is of the essence in such a case, and it does no harm to treat even if constipation isn't the issue, I always go for the oil at the first suspicion of impacted crop or constipation in a baby chick.

Any kind of oil will work, olive, mineral, castor, or coconut oil. I like coconut oil slightly chilled to make it solid so as to make it easy to stuff a half teaspoon into the chick's beak without getting most of the oil all over you as well as the chick.

After giving the oil, massage the crop ever so gently to make it dissolve the crop contents and go down where the gizzard is also probably affected.
After the chick poops, usually a massive turd, it will bounce right back to normal and be lively again. If this doesn't happen, then something else is going on, and we can try to figure it out.

Constipation is usually caused by a chick eating something like grass without having grit in its gizzard. Usually, a chick will first eat small sand particles before trying to eat grass, but baby chicks aren't always paragons of smartitude. You might get some chick grit if you're going to feed treats soon and take them back out to play on the grass.

Hey azygous, thank you for the response.

Sadly she passed away about a half hour ago. Didn't think I had become so attached already.

Thanks again.

Gosh, I sure hate to hear that. I thought we'd caught it in time. Yes, we do get attached to the sweet little things awfully quickly.

Back
Top Bottom