2 week old silkie possible wry neck? Need help!

JK93

Chirping
Sep 12, 2022
My 2 week old show girl was super strong and seemed to be healthy and doing well but always cold and would run back under the heat plate after eating and drinking, it did not play and hangout in the brooder with the other silkie chick but I assumed the no down feathers made it cold and thought nothing of it. I went out for a few hours the other day checked on chicks all seemed fine and went to bed. Yesterday I go to clean out the brooder and my chick has its head between its legs dragging its face/head on the ground, screaming and walking backwards/tumbling all over. I feed dumor organic chick start 20% protein which I blend for them into a sand consistently which they all enjoy and eat. I'm brand new to chicks and actually picked this silkie and another one up from a local breeder to help with my stressed silkie from an online hatchery with neurological issues and she passed away last week so I am besides myself right now. This silkie like the one that passed away has an extremely vaulted skull. I'm not sure if smacking her head on the heat plate would do this? I have vitamin E and B complex, as well as nutri drench but should I get Poly-Vi-Sol instead? Should I be looking into how I can possibly get my hands on prednisone/how can I get it? This chick is in such bad shape so quickly it just screams ALL night and day its eyes are barely open but it fights me hard on taking vitamins and nutridrench. It just wants to put its head between it's legs and shake it's head, it won't eat and it's hard to get it to drink and it spits up some of the vitamins. Should I put a make-shift neckbrace on it? I do not want to lose another chick.

So sorry for the late reply! How is the chick doing???
If you haven't already, please DO keep trying to get Vitamin E and scrambled egg into this chick. Poly-Vi-Sol would be great if you can.
It may take several weeks of treatment IF it's going to recover. Are you prepared for that commitment and possible failure? If not, cull the chick now.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...w+to+feed+a+chicken+with+wry+neck&FORM=HDRSC3

So sorry for the late reply! How is the chick doing???
If you haven't already, please DO keep trying to get Vitamin E and scrambled egg into this chick. Poly-Vi-Sol would be great if you can.
It may take several weeks of treatment IF it's going to recover. Are you prepared for that commitment and possible failure? If not, cull the chick now.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+feed+a+chicken+with+wry+neck&&view=detail&mid=628FB2BE8EA45069A3C9628FB2BE8EA45069A3C9&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=how+to+feed+a+chicken+with+wry+neck&FORM=HDRSC3

When I went in to check on the chick an hour after syringe feeding it could no longer walk. It died in a heating pad on my lap 20 minutes later.

This is my second visibly vaulted skull silkie to die in a week (this one was from a different breeder), while the two silkie chicks without visibly vaulted skulls are totally fine (although the hatchery chick is developing cross beak)... This chick was in a seperate brooder with a hatch mate of the same size that is the most gentle mellow chick, I feed dumor 20% chick starter, I use a brisnea eco glow heat plate, I have them on puppy pads until grit introduction so bedding won't be ingested I don't understand what I could be doing wrong. The chick would gently bump it's head running into the brooder and against the chick waterer while drinking but I can't imagine that doing all this damage. I'm starting to worry that it's the heat plate essentially over heating their brain when they push against it for heat? I'm picking 2 more silkies up today because the tiny healthy silkie is now alone in the brooder. I'm dreading picking these new ones up what can I do differently to help these new ones avoid any of these issues?

Back
Top Bottom