2 weekers in with 6 weekers?

Sammi<3chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
I have 38 2-3 week chicks, and the coop brooder design I am thinking about will end up letting the small chicks out and in with seven 6 week old chicks. My gut says it will be okay, seeing as the 2 weekers are active and running around great. I would def not do it 2 weeks ago, but I have a much better feeling about it now. What do you think?

Is there a way to close it off where if needed you could?
I'm not a chicken expert but I'd be concerned about the bigger ones
pecking the smaller ones.

can't wait to see what everyone else says, because I'd be asking the same question
wink.png

They way my coop is designed (sort of along the idea of a solar room to let in heat in winter) I am afraid that during the day when it gets to hot in there, and I am not around to open windows/vents and shut off the heat light to cool it down, they will become lil fried chickens. So I am thinking of making a brooder that lets the lil chicks in and out as they please (towards and away from the light/heat) and keeps the bigger chicks from getting in there because they wont fit in the opening very well. So if its to hot, they will be able to go out of the brooder and into the regular coop area with the bigger chicks.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Little chicks need to be able to get away from larger ones. I would not recommend people putting different ages together but you may have worked out a solution. Supervise it for a while before you leave them. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom