2 wk. old sick chick..??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MakNat, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I hatched out 15 chicks for the first time in a bator. They are 2 weeks old today. They have been doing great, growing like weeds. Little nuts I must say. I'm feeding them the medicated starter feed, changing there water 3 to 4 times daily and replacing the bedding ( shredded paper ) every other day. This am I noticed one of them is very listless, all fluffed up getting knocked around by the others. His eyes are closed mostly, he is standing. What do you think it is or what should I do. Do you think they will all get sick???

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It's really hard to say- what does his poo look like, is he eating or drinking?

The first thing I would do is separate him from the others. Keep him warm, about 90 degrees. A stuffed toy will be comforting.

Try to get some food in if he's not eating, even mashed hard boiled egg yolks will work. Chick starter mashed up with water is good too. Maybe add some vitamins to the water, if he's drinking.

The shredded paper is not really good bedding- if not wood chips, (never cedar), can you line the brooder with layers of paper towels? At 2 weeks, they eat everything they can get, including paper. I have the wood chips in with my 2 week olds- yes, it's messy, but I find it keeps the smell down and only have to change it every other day.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by