2" x 3" Wire and Coop Design

NewAtThis67

Hatching
May 10, 2016
Fort Worth
As the name implies, we are "NewAtThis". I have built my own coop using a 10' x 10' existing space under our treehouse. I used YouTube videos and this forum to help me design it. We have a dog that would easily tear right through the standard chicken wire. So, I went with a 16-gauge 2" x 3" wire. The chicks are only 3 weeks old and can walk right through the wire at this point. We are keeping them in the hen house/brood for now. Can I just wait it out until they grow large enough to not fit through the wire or should
[/IMG] I wrap the coop in a hardware cloth?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a neat looking coop! If you think they will fit through I would certainly wrap it so they can't escape. Better to be safe rather than sorry. At three weeks I'm sure they would really enjoy the fresh air of being outside.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Actually you need to back your wire with 1/2" hardware cloth so predators and others do not grab a hold of some body part and bite it off. You also want to foil diggers, and a top on the run will help keep out climbers, jumpers and raptors. Everything loves to eat chicken. Pet dogs and cats seem to massacre their owner's flock most often. Though neighbors that allow dogs to run free also do much harm.

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. We do live in the city and have a fenced yard. We are only allowed 6 chickens (no roosters) in Fort Worth. The only predators that I have seen around here are hawks and owls...and those ferocious squirrels.

The coop stands 8' high as I used the 10' x 10' base of our treehouse. I have used the 2' x 3' 14 gauge fencing all the way to the top. I just spent some time last night wrapping the inside bottom 4 feet with standard 20 gauge chicken wire. Do you think 4' is enough?

Back
Top Bottom