2 year old Buff Orpington struggling to breathe

idochickenmath

Hatching
Jul 8, 2021
My Buff Orpington has been doing the classic 'gaping' of gapeworm - she sticks out her neck and opens her mouth to breathe, and there's a moaning sound as she breathes. Video below.

I treated her on Sunday with 1 mL 10% fenbendazole (Panacur). She seemed to be breathing easier about 12 hours later. A little wheezing sound but no longer gaping. I repeated the dose 2 more times, so 3 doses total in 3 days. Today (Thursday) she is back to gaping, and she sounds worse and her comb looks darker/purplish - I don't think she's getting enough air.

Nobody else is exhibiting symptoms. I'm deworming everybody else with Panacur as well, since it's time anyways.

Any ideas? She's eating and drinking fine. Poo looks normal. Crop is large and squishy - I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it feels empty.

video here

Oh sorry, I forgot to add. The coop is wood pellets/sawdust, and they have a large outdoor run with electric fence.

How is your Buff doing? We have a Buff Orpington that is going through the EXACT same thing and we don't know what to do! We gave the same treatment to our girl that you described in your post. The only difference is our girl stopped eating and drinking today. I hope your girl is better. Did you get any good advice you could pass on? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom