2 year olds getting a new home

Baby Cakes

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2015
I have had my 4 Americana chickens for about 2 weeks now. I bought them from some one that was thinning out her flock. I was told the girls would be laying within the week, but so far no eggs. I looked up some info and looks like the girls have their own time table. The girls are 2 years old. How long will they keep on laying eggs until they are done or until they live their lives? I asked about molting and they went through theirs in July. They have all their feathers.

On the average, they can start slowing down around the age of 2. Some will do well until age three, then really slow down. I have a friend that has a 4 yr. old Speckled Sussex that is almost 4, and she is still laying around 2 to 3 eggs a week. That isn't bad! Different breeds can be different ..not sure about Ameraucanas, or EE's. If you have only had them for 2 weeks now, they should start laying again soon. It takes some times for some hens to settle down after a move. Here's hoping you wake up to a beautiful blue egg or two. :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Cynthia12; hens often stop laying (sometimes even for a few weeks) following the stress of a move. They should begin laying again soon, and at 2 years old you will probably get another year (possibly up to two) of decent laying from them. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with hens resuming their laying.

Hi, welcome to BYC!

Moving to a new home is stressful to chickens so give them some time to settle in and get used to their new environment. Good luck with your new flock, I hope you get eggs soon (that wait can be hard).

If you have questions, always feel free to ask.

Thanks for joining us!

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us.

Hope the new gals settle in and start giving you some eggs very soon.

Welcome to the BYC flock! Glad you are joining us!

welcome-byc.gif

Hopefully once your hens have adjusted to their new surroundings they will lay for you. Moving can be a bit stressful on them.

Molting can take a lot out of hens. You may want to increase their protein uptake to help them fully recover. Moving is very stressful to chickens. Once they feel secure in their new surroundings they should start laying again.

Thank you for the welcome! I cleaned out the coop this afternoon. I got an Omlet Eglu. All 4 of the girls were well trained about going into the house when it got dark. I decided to actually put in nest box full of pine shaving and a yellow fake Easter Egg (LOL). As of right now, I only have the coop and the coop is inside a 6x6 metal garden fence with a tarp covering half for shade and rain cover. I pre ordered a the run and frame for a later delivery date, which I'm glad that I did. One of the girl, Mary Poopins, was spotted outside of the fence and on top of the tarp. She left her mark, which my 6 year and 4 year old made a big fuss over. This is her second escape, the first being the day I brought them home. She is the most aggressive out of the 4. Thanks for the encouragement.

How much protein? I give them 16% layer feed mixed with cracked corn, oyster shell, and granite. I also feed them scrap from our (kids) plates, which includes protein.

Back
Top Bottom