2 yr old chickens spending most of their time in coop now...

Ceenie Crocker

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2016
Hi all,
I have 2 hens and a rooster, that seem to be spending all day in their (non-heated) coop. They only come out into the run to eat and drink or get treats. They love to be out free ranging during the day, when I'm free to be out with them but if I'm not they have to be in their run.
The run is 8x10. I recently (4 weeks ago) put up plastic on the lower half to block the cold winds (I did this last year and the plastic didn't bother them). It's in the 50's here this week but has dropped into the 30's.
My roo just goes where the ladies go and all three are almost finished with their molt and both ladies stopped laying about 5 weeks ago.
Any ideas on why they've decided to spend all day in the coop now? (pics attached)
My lead hen passed away 3 weeks ago and it seems like they're kinda depressed from that.... if that can happen. Any ideas?!
Thank you everyone.
20171203_InsideCoop.png
20171203_InsideRun.png
20171203_OuterRun.png

Probably the lose of a hen put the fear of predation in their heads. Many time after I lose one they stick to the shed more for a while. They also may not remember the plastic from last year. That stuff look scary, plus it cuts down on their ability to see, so again may go with the fear of predation.

Back
Top Bottom