New chickens not sleeping in coop with older hens

jploria116

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
So I recently introduced three new hens (approximately 16 weeks old) to my existing flock (23 weeks old). I kept them separated at first by placing a large dog crate inside my run. I kept them separate for about 4 weeks. I then slowly introduced them together by letting them free range outside the run in my yard a few times per week and then finally removed the dog crate. I only saw a little bit of chasing but nothing serious. The new chickens needed some help the first few nights by getting placed inside since I have an automatic door. Eventually they all were going inside at night. Now fast forward to this week, the three new hens are sleeping outside on a roost instead of inside again.

No observed aggression, however I do notice the 3 new ones hang out with each other and the 6 original ones hang out with each other. Tonight will be the second night in a row I place them inside the coop manually. It could have been going on for longer, since I don’t check every day (I work nights). My run is enclosed and predator proof so but fall and winter are coming. I have multiple roosting bars inside the coop with plenty of space. The older hens hang on the higher bar. I place the new ones on the lower. Again no observed aggression but I’m not sure what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don’t have any pictures of the roosting bars. Basically I have a droppings board and then about 12” up off that on a diagonal I have one 65” roosting bar. The. Approximately 12” higher than that I have another 65” roosting bar but perpendicular to the first one. Kind of like an “X” pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    880.2 KB · Views: 16
Since they weren't raised together they are 2 separate flocks currently. They aren't showing any aggression currently because they are all probably a bit confused by their new situation. Your coop is smaller which makes it harder to add any new birds without some problems.

Your options are to keep putting them in manually until they start to do so themselves, or let them stay out in the run. It will take some time for them all to become one flock.

Have you ever poked your head in there (or used a camera) to see how they're roosted position-wise compared to the older birds? Very possibly one of the older ones is harassing them off the roosts since they cross over so she can reach down to peck at them.

That failing, you may just need to put them in nightly until they get back in the habit of it again.

Since they weren't raised together they are 2 separate flocks currently. They aren't showing any aggression currently because they are all probably a bit confused by their new situation. Your coop is smaller which makes it harder to add any new birds without some problems.

Your options are to keep putting them in manually until they start to do so themselves, or let them stay out in the run. It will take some time for them all to become one flock.
We wanted to add only one new one but the farm we went to had a 3 bird min. The original 6 were 7 but one was a rooster. Figured maybe one of the new ones would end up a rooster but nope… lol. You think once it gets colder they would want to go inside at night for warmth? I could also try that light truck over heard about. I was going to try that with the original 6 because they weren’t going in at night at first either. One day they just started going inside. I was hoping the younger birds would learn from the older.

Have you ever poked your head in there (or used a camera) to see how they're roosted position-wise compared to the older birds? Very possibly one of the older ones is harassing them off the roosts since they cross over so she can reach down to peck at them.

That failing, you may just need to put them in nightly until they get back in the habit of it again.
The older ones are always tucked in nicely on the top roost. I’ll check later tonight after I place the newer ones inside manually.

We wanted to add only one new one but the farm we went to had a 3 bird min.
That'd be a whole different (and possibly complicated) issue, so I'm glad the farm did not let you only take 1. Integrating a single bird is more difficult.
I was hoping the younger birds would learn from the older.
They do, in some cases. But if the older ones are bullying them off the roost, that could be contributing to the problem.

After you put them in tonight, report back on what you're seeing inside.

That'd be a whole different (and possibly complicated) issue, so I'm glad the farm did not let you only take 1. Integrating a single bird is more difficult.

They do, in some cases. But if the older ones are bullying them off the roost, that could be contributing to the problem.

After you put them in tonight, report back on what you're seeing inside.
Yea I heard at night you can trick them since they’re in a sleepy state… and place the new birds inside I dunno I think I read that somewhere . I’ll check them a few times and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom