-20 and below-frozen egg issues

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Our chickens are all day layers. So that means gathering eggs all day long.
Right now, temps are hovering around -20 at night, and not improving much during the day.
I don't expect to see much above 0 all winter, and there will likely be quite a few weeks that we will see -30

We plan on being gone for 3 days next week, and will have a neighbor feed, water and gather while we are gone,
but they will not be able to gather eggs like I do, as they both work.
I did some searching around here, and got a few good ideas on how to end my problem of frozen eggs.
Going to reduce boxes down to only 3, and also pack as much hay in as I think will work.

Are their any other brilliant ideas out there, that do not involve electricity?

I use the Therma Care disposable heating pads (shoulder size) under the nesting boxes when the rabbits kennel in bad weather. They last for around 12-18 hours so if you bought a box of those and had your neighbor put one in each nesting box every morning (maybe with some carboard over it?) that would probably work. It doesn't get really hot thru the carboard so you wouldn't cook any eggs, though some of the chickies might decide they want to stay in the nest all day.
wink.png

Last edited:
I don't know how brilliant . . . and I certainly don't live in such a cold climate.

One side of my coop is a room with insulated walls, floor and ceiling. I still put an extra piece of foam insulation under the nest box during the winter months. And, since the hens cannot get behind or on top of the next box, I dump a bucket on wood shavings on it.

The nest box is over-sized. Three hens can fit in there altho, it is almost standing-room-only. Usually, they take turns or there's just 2 of them at a time.

. . . just my 2¢.

Steve

I have been thinking about this as well because I get a couple frozen exploded eggs every week. When it gets colder I will probably leave the light on 24 hours because DH whines about having to check for eggs all day when I am at work in town. When I was little and in a much colder climate the chickens shared space with the barnyard animals and we never had a problem. Do you have any other animals that you could combine the housing? I know, not an easy solution, but the only thing I can think of without electricity.

I understand where you are comming from. I would suggest doing what Kittymomma said with the heat pads. It would be the easiest way for them to do something and it would be fairly quick. If that is not an option I would stuff as much straw in the boxes over a layer of shavings as I could just to add an extra layer. Hope everything works out well and you enjoy your trip.

The only thing we have to worry about is if our eggs are hard boiled in July when we gather them.....
lol.png

I'm not afraid of going to hell... I'm from Phoenix...

Just_Cuz_06.gif

Sunrise from Squaw Peak last week.

10376_p1000092.jpg

Last edited:
I have no suggestions but you have my sympathy. Last week, I was complaining of 44* and pour raining.... I told my dh, if I lived 'up north' I would have to bring my chickens in the house!! Please let us know if you find something that works!!

Reducing the air space in the coop will help too, so that the heat from the hens will be better able to warm it. You can do this with the deep litter method or by stacking bales of things like straw in there. It really depends on your setup. Roof insulation is also a way to retain heat and I suspect you're cold enough that ventilation can be reduced.

So cold already, very sorry to hear this- are you in Alaska?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom