20 day old chick died this morning

daydreamer226

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
I had 16 fertile eggs in the incubator. 7 hatched. They all were doing so good until this morning, One of the babies passed away. No signs or anything. I am heartbroken. Anyone know why this might of happened? First time chicken mom ♡

I have them in a large box in my backbroom. In the process of moving them to a bigger space today. They have a heat lamp, waterer, feeder, and a couple of feather dusters. Im feeding them the crumble my neighbor is using for her chickens. I dont have the name right now, but its not medicated. She told me I can used the powder medication.
The way you have the heat lamps, does it allow them to get away if they are too hot?
I normally do the medicated, not sure what others do.
Like others have said, sometimes it isn't anything you have done. But if you are like me, you want to make sure.

Do you mean 20 day old chick or 20 day old embryo? As in they hatched 20 days ago or the incubation was on day 20.

Chicks can die for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they just fail to thrive. There is even a disease called sudden death syndrome.

Embryos on the other hand can quit for many reasons due to temperature, turning, breeder health and nutrition, time in storage and to a lesser degree, humidity.

Yes, the other side of the box is cooler. I made sure of that when they hatched. I knew I should of done the medicated food. I was told they didnt HAVE to have it. But I knew better. If I start medicating tomorrow, do you think the rest will be okay?
I agree with @KingB If you buy chick starter/grower they will thrive. The name of the feed will be Chick Starter/Grower and it will be a crumble. I can't recall but I thought medicated was most effective from hatching, not sure it matters now.

Oh! I just scooped the bedding out of the water. I bought a big auto waterer and put it on an upside down plate, but I keep needing to change the water several times a day? I cleaned it up after the photo.
Oh good. I was making sure it wasn't turkey... haha!... they would need grit if you aren't feeding them just chick starter/grower. I normally feed them treats when they are older.

Back
Top Bottom