-20 degree temps and getting colder

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Grant Wilson, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Grant Wilson

Grant Wilson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    I have 8 hens and the past week it Has been -20 or colder I am wondering what extras I should feed them and or how y'all take care of your chickens when it gets this cold?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is getting cold here too, haven't reached the -20 yet, but I'm sure it will get here eventually. I don't do too much different than I do on warmer days, I need to replace the water more, I give mine a warm ration and oatmeal mixture, I throw out scratch to get them moving, put down grassy hay for them to pick through and get some more scratch in them before bedtime as well as a bit of warm water. They also will seek out any sunshine.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    This is exactly what a lot of us in the really cold climates do. Great advice!!!

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Scratch is more of an energy food, and that is what they need in cold weather. I feed more of that this time of year. In very bitter weather, I have given either corn meal or cornmeal bread. Gramma said to make them warm cornmeal mush, but it froze solid, and after that they didn't eat it.

Mrs K

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    -20F?
    Windchill factor or air temp?

Dry bedding, liquid water always(I use a heated waterer), block wind, lots of ventilation with any drafts blocked.
    Thin layer hay/straw on snow covered ground, shovel out part of run.
    Good healthy birds from a balanced diet with sufficient protein.
    Scratch grains thrown in run or coop(depending on weather) to balance high protein crumble.....and to keep them busy and observe mobility levels.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Suet is also a good high calorie energy source to stay warm.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I give boss and cracked corn to keep them generating heat for cold nights (single digits) my coop is wall and floor insulated (but lots of ventilation 9-10' up) though the pop door is always open to the run (have an ante wall) so wind/snow doesn't blow in. I've also installed safe wall panel heater, that I only use when it plummets to -20s-30s, (which we had last winter) my first winter with chicken to prevent frozen eggs and frozen waterer.

But what do I know I'm only into my 2nd winter of chicken raising, all I know I don't want frost bites, wasted frozen eggs other wise I'll contend with store bought eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by