-20 degree temps and getting colder

Grant Wilson

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
I have 8 hens and the past week it Has been -20 or colder I am wondering what extras I should feed them and or how y'all take care of your chickens when it gets this cold?

It is getting cold here too, haven't reached the -20 yet, but I'm sure it will get here eventually. I don't do too much different than I do on warmer days, I need to replace the water more, I give mine a warm ration and oatmeal mixture, I throw out scratch to get them moving, put down grassy hay for them to pick through and get some more scratch in them before bedtime as well as a bit of warm water. They also will seek out any sunshine.

It is getting cold here too, haven't reached the -20 yet, but I'm sure it will get here eventually. I don't do too much different than I do on warmer days, I need to replace the water more, I give mine a warm ration and oatmeal mixture, I throw out scratch to get them moving, put down grassy hay for them to pick through and get some more scratch in them before bedtime as well as a bit of warm water. They also will seek out any sunshine.

This is exactly what a lot of us in the really cold climates do. Great advice!!!

Scratch is more of an energy food, and that is what they need in cold weather. I feed more of that this time of year. In very bitter weather, I have given either corn meal or cornmeal bread. Gramma said to make them warm cornmeal mush, but it froze solid, and after that they didn't eat it.

Mrs K

-20F?
Windchill factor or air temp?

Dry bedding, liquid water always(I use a heated waterer), block wind, lots of ventilation with any drafts blocked.
Thin layer hay/straw on snow covered ground, shovel out part of run.
Good healthy birds from a balanced diet with sufficient protein.
Scratch grains thrown in run or coop(depending on weather) to balance high protein crumble.....and to keep them busy and observe mobility levels.

Last edited:
I give boss and cracked corn to keep them generating heat for cold nights (single digits) my coop is wall and floor insulated (but lots of ventilation 9-10' up) though the pop door is always open to the run (have an ante wall) so wind/snow doesn't blow in. I've also installed safe wall panel heater, that I only use when it plummets to -20s-30s, (which we had last winter) my first winter with chicken to prevent frozen eggs and frozen waterer.

But what do I know I'm only into my 2nd winter of chicken raising, all I know I don't want frost bites, wasted frozen eggs other wise I'll contend with store bought eggs.

Back
Top Bottom