20+ Week Hen Stopped laying

Quote:
I also use ACV but it doesn't work to kill the parasites that are already there. I have used ACV for years and my chickens still got round worms. Get Wazine it's for treating chickens for round worms, you mix it in their water. go by the directions on the bottle. then after worming start the ACV, and also give them a good probiotic of somekind after the worming for the gut. some use plain high quality yogurt, others buttermilk and you can buy probiotics at TSC also. in powder form. As far as the laying, I don't know some of my hens lay for a while then stop then start back up. I think they have a lay out time. and then also time of year, some will slow down as the daylight hours wane.

Quite right!

I'd never bet my house on it being the best form of treatment, but it can be a very good preventative treatment.

I agree, I use ACV 1tab. to 1 gallon of water everyother night, the night I don't use ACV I use Oxine ah. thats great stuff to.
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm works on respitory [sp] too.

Quote:
It is just for roundworms, you can start with it and then in 10 days worm with something like epernix which will kill parasites on and in the chickens. the pour-on kind or buy Valbazen and worm for all the worms including round worms.

Quote:
I haven't noticed any runny poop from them however, I am going to watch them more carefully today to see the consitancy. I also notice alot of grass in some of my girl poo. I also noticed this morning, on the roost, that possibly two of my girls have runny brown poo. I am only noticing it now because I changed my roost from a roost dropping box, to a roost dropping board. I am wondering worms too but I thought it was a strange coincidence that it was my two EE girls. What breed is your chicken?

hmmcc123 - The hen with the problem is a Silver-lace Michigan mix.

Here is a pic:

66378_img_0240.jpg

Also, has anyone ever heard of - Red Lake Earth
00ae.png
Diatomaceous Earth with Calcium Bentonite? Is it any good?

Rob (Pikeman94)

Aww...She is cute!! Here is my update on my girls: Well, I saw one of the girl's poops and it looked like they do when they are dehydrated. Watery with pellet like green poop in it. Today I put out a cup of calcium (oyster shells) to pick at and the two girls were not interested at all. (Nor were the other girls for that matter. I am going to check into worms some more because my girls do free range out in the yard so are exposed to all that is there. We also have alot of different wild birds so I am not sure what they could expose the girls to.

Hey Rob-So, I looked up this site that I had looked at several times before that shows all the different types of chicken poop so I knew what was normal or not. I found a link to it here on BYC. I am glad I just looked at it again because the poop I described my girls having...I think they could have worms or the internal laying I had mentioned before. This link might be helpful to you:

My two chicken's poo has looked like the 4th photo from the bottom. It says "The hen who produced this specimen was about 25 weeks old. She went off her food and ate so little she became underweight. She held her tail down and was tired. She may have had worms and/or egg peritonitis." below it.

One had alot of yellow in it previously when she was sick one day and the other had this type with out the yellow in it. It is the 4th picture from the bottom.

Hope this link helps you!

Now I need to do research on worms and worming because I know NOTHING about them! lol

Quote:
I use the Red Lake Earth Diatomaceous earth with Calcium Bentonite but Only to keep their feed dry and fresh, I use 1 cup to 25 lbs. so2 cups to 50. I have used it for years and my chickens still got round worms, it might be good to help after you get the worms treated but not if you have an infestation already going on. I have used Wazine and Epernix pour-on and have never had a problem with either, and with Epernix there is no egg withdrawl. Also they can have worms and they might not show up in their poop, because they live in the gut of the birds and can make them anemic if you see any in their poop it's just some that they are shedding. your hen is very pretty, and I hope you can eleminate whats going on and she starts to lay for you again. I will say this, birds have a way of keeping sickness hidden very well, so sometimes they are very ill before we notice and it's too late to do anything about it. I worm my chickens and ducks 2 times a year spring and fall. if you live in a hotter more humid climate you might have to do it more often 3 or 4 times.

Back
Top Bottom