20 week old hen withdrawn, shaking head, diarrhea, can't feel crop

Shancanbonan

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
North Georgia, USA
Hi everyone. I have a 20 week old cream legbar that has been somewhat withdrawn from the flock (roosting in the coop alone during the day, not coming out first thing in the morning). This isn't typical behavior for her. I picked her up and couldn't feel her crop so I'm concerned she isn't eating. I was able to coax her out with sunflower seeds. While out, I noticed she is shaking her head frequently. I don't see any nasal discharge, however, she pooped right in front of me and it was diarrhea. Fecal matter photo and comb/wattle photos below. I have Corid and Vetrx on hand, but I don't want to treat without having an idea of what could be going on. I can take a fecal specimen to the vet on Saturday. I appreciate any input!

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 7
I would separate her for observation for a day or so. Offer some wet chicken feed, bits of scrambled egg, and alternate with some tuna or canned cat food to see if you can get her eating normally. A 1/2 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex can sometimes help the appetite and general health. Has she ever laid an egg yet? Can you insert a clean finger just inside her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg? Spend some time to see if she is being bullied or kept from food and water. Her dropping is quite green and watery, and looks like she has not been eating. If a regular vet is agreeable to letting you bring in some of her droppings to check for worms or coccidiosis, that would be great. When she shakes her head, does it look like she is trying to clear her beak of mucus? Check her for mites and lice as well.

Thanks for your help! I started liquid vitamins and continued electrolytes. She has really perked up! Fecal float looked great--no cocci, bacterial infection, worms, or blood. I didn't feel an egg, and her crop is emptying as it should. Nose is clear, but I rubbed some vetrx on just in case. No mites or lice. She started eating normal layer pellet today, and her poops have solidified some. I'm going to keep her in for at least another day and then reintegrate her if she continues to improve. I'm going to really be watching for any potential bullying, especially at the feeder. Otherwise, I'll monitor her and make sure she continues to eat!

Back
Top Bottom