Poorly hen - sour / impacted crop?

V2vee

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
My hen has been lethargic and withdrawn for the last week and today would not come out of coop just huddled in the corner all day. Her crop was squishy and when I touched it tonight she started to make these weird movements jerking her head right up in the air, stretching her neck out and shaking her head to either side.

Now I think about it she has always had this weird thing of shaking her head - it looks like she is trying to dislodge something in her ear or shaking something off her head. (Nothing like the jerky movements she was doing tonight though. )

Help? Any idea what it could be? She is drinking bit not eating and is just huddled up with her eyes closing all day.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Is her crop empty in the morning? How does her breath smell? I would check in her ears for infection.

Thankyou for the reply!! I didn’t have a chance to check yesterday morning as mad rush in morning to do school run / get to work etc but when is got home in the afternoon she was back to normal and itching to get out of the pen I had put her into. She went straight for a dust so was clearly feeling much better!!

Thankyou for the reply!! I didn’t have a chance to check yesterday morning as mad rush in morning to do school run / get to work etc but when is got home in the afternoon she was back to normal and itching to get out of the pen I had put her into. She went straight for a dust so was clearly feeling much better!!
Awsome! I hope she continues to feel better!

@AidKD - I found this in her coop this morning… does it look like lash egg to you or could it be something she passed due to the impacted crop? She had a messy vent and both the vent / this white lump smell pretty grosse… 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_8380.jpeg
    IMG_8380.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8376.jpeg
    IMG_8376.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8375.jpeg
    IMG_8375.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 4
@AidKD - I found this in her coop this morning… does it look like lash egg to you or could it be something she passed due to the impacted crop? She had a messy vent and both the vent / this white lump smell pretty grosse… 🤔
It looks like a lash egg to me. Which is not good news. I'll tag a few other just to be sure though. I'll also share a link about lash eggs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-is-a-lash-egg-all-you-need-to-know-more.77939/
@Tookie
@The Chick Addict
@The birb king

It looks like a lash egg to me and it would make sense considering she hasn't been feeling good.

Yes, that's a lash egg. Which means she has salpingitis, it's an infection and inflammation of the oviduct. Sadly, there's not much of a cure. All you can really do is offer support.
You could try and use antibiotics, it may or may not help though once lash material is seen. If you can get some Amoxacillin or Aqua Mox 250mg, you could give that twice a day for 10 days and see if it helps at all.
Does she have any bloating of the abdomen? Any labored breathing? Any waddling when she runs/walks?
How's her crop feel right now? Could you check it in the morning before she eats and drinks and make sure it's empty? Crop issues can be a symptom of something else going on.

Back
Top Bottom