20 week old SF, SS, & GLW

Well to my surprise…. my SS laid first out of the group

View attachment 3374812
Congrats! Nice looking egg.

This may be a dumb question, but did your pullet know where to lay her eggs from seeing the others do it? I have some pullets nearing point of lay, and I've never done this before. Will they try to lay their egg somewhere besides the nest their first few times?

This may be a dumb question, but did your pullet know where to lay her eggs from seeing the others do it? I have some pullets nearing point of lay, and I've never done this before. Will they try to lay their egg somewhere besides the nest their first few times?
All of mine laid in the nest areas since the beginning, except one. (There are a bunch of fake wood eggs in all the spots.) My OE has been laying for about a week, and will dig herself a little burrow in the pine shavings in the coop to lay her egg. I am grateful it is inside and not in the run. Hopefully she will change her location, but for now it isn’t the worst place although I’d prefer them not on the ground. Lol

All of mine laid in the nest areas since the beginning, except one. (There are a bunch of fake wood eggs in all the spots.) My OE has been laying for about a week, and will dig herself a little burrow in the pine shavings in the coop to lay her egg. I am grateful it is inside and not in the run. Hopefully she will change her location, but for now it isn’t the worst place although I’d prefer them not on the ground. Lol
Thanks! I also have wooden eggs in the nests so I'm glad I did that. My Salmon Faverolle LOVES to burrow into the bedding underneath the nesting boxes (they are elevated) at night or when it's cold. Nearly every night I have to take her from there and put her on the roost lol. So honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she starts laying there like your OE does. She's buddies with my only other pullet (Jersey Giant), but is terrified of the hens because they do seem to beat up on her the most. I could see her avoiding going near the nests if they are there. I didn't really think of this, so thanks for sharing your experience!

Absolutely not a dumb question! However mine can be a little stubborn and dumb sometimes, so no they did not lay in the nesting box LOL. My older girls used too, but now they started laying underneath the poop board. They kind of just lay their eggs where they want to inside the coop. One thing that helped me to try to get them to lay somewhere else was these white plastic easter eggs that some people use for dyeing… looks just like an egg, they won’t break and you get a pack of 12 for about $1 😁

Back
Top Bottom