20 weeks Rhode Island Red not laying yet, why?

RhodeIsland2017

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2017
They turned 20 weeks old today and still not laid a single egg.
I feed them growers pellets(which has 18g protein) and oyster shells (that I don't see them eat it) and I let them free range all day long utill night and our backyard is full of crickets and insects.
One thing I'm concerned about is the coop. It's pretty small (originally a dog small house) which they don't sleep in anymore, they like to stand on the backyard stairs at night (because it's high) and I have to carry them to their coop. Could that be stressing them out? Please help with any good ideas. Should I build a run so they can sleep on a high place such as piece of wood (which they seems to like).

IMG_6099.jpg
IMG_6100.jpg
IMG_6105.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg

All pics are taken few minutes ago, Today

Attachments

• IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 77
They are getting close. Patience is hard but that is what it takes.

They are perhaps just a bit young yet.

I would build them a run and perhaps put some 2' tall legs on the coop.
Thank you for replying, I will wait until they lay their first two eggs and then I'll move them to a new run because I heard moving them to new place will stop them from laying for a while so I'll wait a little more. Let me see if other people have experience with RIR and when theirs started laying. Thanks!

I do know improper sleep can negatively effect egg laying and if the chickens dont like the coop they won't sleep there

It's Important for chickens to have a safe place to roost at night with appropriate sturdy roosting bars that fit their feet to wrap around and perch.

Story -
I obtained my chickens from a gal that said the only layer hen was giving her three and perhaps four eggs a week.
When we inspected the coop - there were only two or three droppings for three hens and she had said she changed the bedding four days prior and thought they weren't sleeping on the coop.
When We got the hens and coop we noted the roosting perch was loose and rolled when pressure was applied. So we took it out and put in a 2x4 with the 2 inch portion "up" for them to perch on, wrap their feet around and sleep
The gal we got them from was correct - the hens were not sleeping in the coop. They didn't like the coop bc of the perch. There was a good amount of poop in the coop the first night and the layer hen gave us five eggs that week
Happy chicken

It almost seems like your chickens don't like the coop if you are finding them sitting outside. I take it they are Not perching outside just standing? From the picture it looks like they are standing on the top of the porch railing which isn't really like perching if it's the wide portion of the 2x4.

If you don't have a perch - I'd put one in the coop straight away - just as 21 hens implied.

If you already have a perch in the coop than they don't like the coop for some reason. Perhaps put a perch outside the coop until you problem solve

Good luck to you
Hope my story helped

Last edited:
I'm new to chickens as well and also have RIRs. Just to give you some perspective, only one of our two RIRs is laying and they are 24 weeks old. Regarding a coop, we have a 8'x12' shed we converted into a coop with several roosting bars at various heights. All 12 of our birds sleep on the highest possible roost. I would consider giving them the ability to get off the ground, if possible, so that they feel more comfortable.

Not all hens lay at exactly 18 weeks. Some take way more and some take less. My bantam laid weeks after my others. Hang in there, those eggs are coming!

I do know improper sleep can negatively effect egg laying and if the chickens dont like the coop they won't sleep there

It's Important for chickens to have a safe place to roost at night with appropriate sturdy roosting bars that fit their feet to wrap around and perch.

Story -
I obtained my chickens from a gal that said the only layer hen was giving her three and perhaps four eggs a week.
When we inspected the coop - there were only two or three droppings for three hens and she had said she changed the bedding four days prior and thought they weren't sleeping on the coop.
When We got the hens and coop we noted the roosting perch was loose and rolled when pressure was applied. So we took it out and put in a 2x4 with the 2 inch portion "up" for them to perch on, wrap their feet around and sleep
The gal we got them from was correct - the hens were not sleeping in the coop. They didn't like the coop bc of the perch. There was a good amount of poop in the coop the first night and the layer hen gave us five eggs that week
Happy chicken

It almost seems like your chickens don't like the coop if you are finding them sitting outside. I take it they are Not perching outside just standing? From the picture it looks like they are standing on the top of the porch railing which isn't really like perching if it's the wide portion of the 2x4.

If you don't have a perch - I'd put one in the coop straight away - just as 21 hens implied.

If you already have a perch in the coop than they don't like the coop for some reason. Perhaps put a perch outside the coop until you problem solve

Good luck to you
Hope my story helped
Thank you for sharing your story, I'll definitely learn from this experience. I do have a perch inside the coop which they sleep on when I carry them their! BTW, I got my first egg today this morning and it was very tiny egg. I'll post a pic of it. I'll wait for the other hen to lay too and then I'll think about building a chicken run because I heard that moving chickens to different place will stop them from laying so that's why I'll take my time! I was pretty happy to see her sitting down on it. I'll post a pic of the egg today!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom