20 wk old cinnamon queen with swollen vent

lwolsin

Chirping
May 17, 2023
I have a 20 week old cinnamon queen that just started laying this week. The last couple days she has had loose stool. I didn’t think anything of it because it’s been so hot I figured it was just stress and added electrolytes and probiotics to their water. Tonight I noticed she had poop caught in her feathers. When I was cleaning her I noticed her vent is swollen. I was thinking possibly vent gleet but see no discharge and she did lay her first large egg today. Any thoughts?? She is acting completely fine otherwise eating and drinking fine too. Attached a poop pic just in case 🤪

Attachments

• IMG_6478.jpeg
    IMG_6478.jpeg
    874.4 KB · Views: 50
Poop alone is not reason to get worried. Poop comes in many different forms. However, if behavior changes along with the poop, then you need to take a serious look at it.

The swollen vent tissue may be associated with the first egg. If it seems swollen and irritated, you may use hydrocortisone cream on it to reduce swelling. This should not last longer than a week or so.

That looks like a cecal poop. Pictures of the vent might be more helpful. If a stuck egg is suspected, then human calcium citrate with d3 or Caltrate could be helpful.
Thank you I will try to get pics of her vent.

Poop alone is not reason to get worried. Poop comes in many different forms. However, if behavior changes along with the poop, then you need to take a serious look at it.

The swollen vent tissue may be associated with the first egg. If it seems swollen and irritated, you may use hydrocortisone cream on it to reduce swelling. This should not last longer than a week or so.
Thank you so much!!

The swelling seems to have gone down today so I can only assume it was because she laid her first big egg! Thank you all so much I got a lot of great information from this and I soo appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom