2012 Chicken Coop Design

greeneggs1

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Salt Lake Valley, Utah
I'm trying to come up with a new coop design. I enjoyed my first coop that I built, but have learned a few things that I'd like to incorporate into a new one.

Our homes' previous owners put in a dog kennel with a concrete floor and fenced with chain link.
It is placed in the corner of our yard against a concrete block wall. I'm thinking that this will be nicer than dirt to clean/maintain.

Here are a couple of ideas that I've been working on.

Coop No. 1​

Coop No. 2​

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. The first one will give me height inside the coop for roosts. But, the second one will keep the coop off the ground and provide a small space for the hens to gather under. The roofs of the second one has more character to it, but the "porch" is a little low and the hens probably be able to jump up on top and potentially leave the coop.

I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas.

Attachments

• 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
Coop 2 is pleasing to the eye. If you are worried they will fly out via the porch roof you can do one of two things. Put netting or a sun shade screen over it to keep them from flying out (I would use a sun shade screen) OR you can easily clip their wings and they won't be able to fly that high. The other good thing about the sun shade screen is it would protect them from chicken hawks, owls, etc. You can go to my site at McClain's Crazy Aces Farm and look at my Chicken Coop photo album for ideas. We built ours with new and salvaged items. You might be able to get some ideas. Good luck.

Could you extend the chain link fence to the left of the coop? This way the chickens can do what they do naturally and have dirt to peck at. I like coop #2. Seems like it gives them more "play area" to go underneath the coop. Just my little old 2 cents! :)

I llove Coop No.2!!! Aesthetically is more pleasant & the chickens have extra space under it... I guess you may put the less expensive chicken wire available on top to prevent them from flying out...also cleaning will be easier as you can spray with a hose under it too! you can also add a tray of sand/dirt so they can took dirt baths :O)

The netting is a good idea McClain. I tried going to your site, but couldn't find it? Can you post a link?
The chain link fence is an existing fence. I'm not too eager to install more of it. I am planning on putting in sand/mulch on top of the concrete. Will the sand substrate fulfill their chicken needs to scratch and peck and and dust bathe? I will let them out often to roam the yard, but for the most of the day they will be in the coop and pen.

Back
Top Bottom