2012 Louisiana chickenstocks, shows, and meet-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol Ann!! It's okay your being super women.
I was around the fair last year especial hoovering the poultry area and to me it's quite small :( I never showed chickens before but always go and see them before and during the shows Oh and the cute bunnies XD..I have seen other states shows, Kansas and Iowa. Must say the most exciting and thrilling was the Woodbury country Fair up in the town I use to live in Moville. Every type of Livestock had there own cute white barn, with its name on a plaque. Cages lines up on the walls and on hangers in the middles aisles...lots of poultry. I should know my hubby kept asking "Didn't we past that cage before?"

:) And that's why they call you the "Flock Master" :) Why didn't I think of that!!! I start that routine tomorrow.

The Alexandria show is October 10-14th at the Rapides Parish Coliseum Fairgrounds. Chickens have to be tested for thyphoid/pullorm and is free, but the date given is Sept 24th 2011, so I guess they forgot to change the date. Is that something that should be on our checklist? Also, there was an explanation for filling out the Exhibitor's tag, which should go on our checklist.

The Alexandria show is October 10-14th at the Rapides Parish Coliseum Fairgrounds. Chickens have to be tested for thyphoid/pullorm and is free, but the date given is Sept 24th 2011, so I guess they forgot to change the date. Is that something that should be on our checklist? Also, there was an explanation for filling out the Exhibitor's tag, which should go on our checklist.
is that test done there as you enter your birds or before the show?

do you have a pic of the exhibitor's tag? also what is the explanation for?

i have thought about that and i know a lot of people around here don't have those test done and some of these test can be done as the birds are entered...the one thing i do want required is the checking for mites as last year someone brought a bird with mites to the fair.

Quote: Please explain what are all the test that need to be done on the chickens and when they should be taken care of...sorry I'm a newbie when it come to showing. :hmm really there where mites at last year fair!?! Ewww, umm ya need more info on how to prevent mites and if they do have them how in the world do you get rid of them.

Quote: Checklist?? What list? Kudos for getting the info for the Alexandria show, but no one has made a list of well anything for showing or the club yet that i know of. We can make sure to discuss this at the meet n greet that there be a checklist in the making. Looks like I need to start writing stuff down that we need to discuss at the gathering.

some shows require that you have your birds NPIP tested/certified (national poultry improvement plan) while some don't require any. some of the test have to be done before the shows and some can be done as you bring the birds in. as to which test should be done weeks before a show i have no idea lol i have only done the fair here in leesville and testing here isn't needed.

mites is one of the last things you want in your flock as they slowly kill your stock. some signs to look for would be loss in egg production (heat, illness, and stress also cause this), loss of weight, and loss of feathers. to check for mites look around the warm areas of the chickens such as around the vent and under the wings. mine are housed at my parents place and they had a bad outbreak of mites/lice. i noticed them when i was bathing one of the chicks and i could see them all over the poor thing and then i started looking at random chickens and you could see them all over the birds, it made me itch. we treated with 5% seven dust every 4-5 days (it was that bad) to kill any hatched babies so they couldn't mate and lay more eggs and then we have bought a dip from the feed store here and dipped them and fixing to do it again. not only do you need to treat the birds but you have to replace any bedding each time you treat and treat the coop, nest boxes, and runs as well making sure you get it in every little crack and all as well. so far we have been treating for 1.5 months almost 2 months now. i had foul pox show up in our birds as well after the fair (if i remember right mosquitoes are the ones who carry and pass this around) so after the fair is over i keep a very close eye on my babies for 2 months at the min.

Yikes!! Mites are horrible!!

Do you dust your pens with Food grade Diatomaceous Earth? Ever since the derrider pound said they use it. I went ahead and bought some, dusted the dog area, chicken pen and all there food. Nice way to keep the bug population under control. Especial those pesky ants..

The test is done BEFORE the show, that was really important. No bird can enter the show without proof of negative test. I emailed the person of contact about the date. I received this information. Saturday, Sept. 22 from 9 am to 12 pm bird testing will be free at the Dewitt Livestock Complex on Hwy 71 in Alexandria. Contact person for test is Rodney Johnson at 4H office 318 767 3968.

Please explain what are all the test that need to be done on the chickens and when they should be taken care of...sorry I'm a newbie when it come to showing. :hmm really there where mites at last year fair!?! Ewww, umm ya need more info on how to prevent mites and if they do have them how in the world do you get rid of them.

Checklist?? What list? Kudos for getting the info for the Alexandria show, but no one has made a list of well anything for showing or the club yet that i know of. We can make sure to discuss this at the meet n greet that there be a checklist in the making. Looks like I need to start writing stuff down that we need to discuss at the gathering.
I think if everyone who is planning to be at our gathering should start a checklist or idea list. We can compare notes and come up with some realistic goals and deligate jobs. I don't see where we have all agreed upon a date yet. Did I miss that post? I had suggested Sept. 1st. What say ya'll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom