2012 Louisiana chickenstocks, shows, and meet-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 25th isn't a good day for me. Rally competition with my Boston Terrier. Is there another day available, like the following Sat?
yes we can move it to either the 18th ( a week from now) or the 1st (3 weeks away) if that's alright, i want a date that everyone interested in this might be able to come together on, that way we all can share idea's together and get everyone's opinion and do what's best :)

what do you think Roxanneinla? think one of these dates might be better/easier say about 2. i can bring some water depending on were we have it at. i figure one of the parks might be best if anyone interested has kids, like us, that might want to play while we discuss ideas about starting the club up.

sorry for a late reply, i had a storm up in my area and it was effecting my power. I was in the middle of typing up an email and Zapp power surge...gotta love them...anyway those dates sound good to me too. Is there anyway to get everyone email???..I am juggling between here, bookoo and my email box.

Hi All,

I am glad to see there is increasing interest in poultry shows in Louisiana. : ) If anyone has any questions about the procedure on holding a APA (and ABA) approved show just let me know and I will answer questions as I have the time.

As an introduction, I am your newly appointed State Representative for the American Poultry Asscociation. I inherited the job from Jerry McCarty when I relocated from Arkansas back to my home state of Louisiana last December. I find it especially interesting that you are talking about shows or swaps in the De Ridder and De Quincy area since my mother was born and raised in De Quincy and my father (now deceased) was born and raised in De Ridder. : )

I have several poultry related websites . Currently, I raise Araucana chickens (SkyBlueEgg.com) and I publish Exhibition Poultry Magazine online (ExhibitionPoultry.net), plus I am hoping to have a small APA approved show here in Winnfield in March 2013 at the fairgrounds (BigBirdShows.com). Besides being married and having a wonderful supportive husband (no kids) I hold down three part time jobs through self-employment, so my time is very limited. They best way to get in touch with me is through email: [email protected]. or post something here. I will help as much as I can.
smile.png

Ann Charles
APA State Representative - Louisiana
(http://apa-louisiana.com/)

Thank you Ann!! When i sent that email, I didn't know that you where the State Representative for the American Poultry Association, LOL!! I just saw you where the Editor/Publisher for the magazine. Thank you for helping us out as much as you can :) We are very grateful!!

You are welcome! You probably did not notice I was the APA State Rep because I am probably the worst one ever!
th.gif
I have been SO busy since we moved back down here that I have very little time for anything else besides work.

I was looking at that Leesville Fairgrounds contract - those rates are really very good. But how many show cages do they have? How big is their Poultry show at their fair?

the upcoming fair? that show is to me small as there is age restriction and a limit on the number of chickens you can enter (i have yet to know the number of ducks) but a person can show at the fair up until their first year of collage after that you can no longer show there. my 4 and 5 year old will be entering their chickens and ducks that they have helped raise and the limit on them is 2 cockerels, 2 cocks, 2 pullets, and 2 hens for a total of 8 per person. cash prizes are given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners, an overall grand champ, and an over all reserve grand champ, here's a link to last years catalog this years catalog hasn't been printed out yet http://text.lsuagcenter.com/MCMS/Re...4C0E-949F-916B085FD349}/2011-Fair-Catalog.pdf poultry starts on page 10. i have no clue about their cages they use but once i get this years catalog i will post that information here for anyone who has kids that may want to show their poultry.

i hesitant to say anything about judging as I've heard it was a bit off and then I've heard they judge by the book so on that i have no clue. i guess i will find more out after they judge wont i
smile.png
and then i can ask questions if i'm there after they are done.

Last edited:
hdowden . . . Thanks for the link and the info.

Most of the county fairs only have classes for the kids in poultry, with no open classes. But if they have enough cages - or the hosting club can borrow some - there is no reason why you could not have an Open poultry show using the same facilities and just at some other time than the Fair. However, it really is a lot easier if the cages are already there and just need to be set up. Plus, the size of the show (I am still talking about an Open show). Can be limited to the number of cages present - hopefully at least 200 minimum plus a good mix of Bantam and large Fowl sized cages.

I have been told there is a Open poultry show that is held in Alexandria each year - just not APA or ABA approved.

Ann

The weekend of Sept. 1 is best for me, (payday) :) Hello Ann!!!! I love your magazine!!!! If you need any help let me know. I am looking forward to getting together and getting some ideas and facts on paper and getting this club up and going. I teach, school starts tomorrow for the teachers, so I will not be available til I get home around 4. I do my daily chores ( playing with the chickens :) ) I let my standards out to range when I get home and supervise them so none get lost or eaten. Then there's the donkeys, pig, goats, ducks, geese and a gazillion dogs (21) I am trying to figure a way to let my bantams out too, but the standard hens attack the little ones. I'll probably just fence in a large area for them to forage in safely. Oops got off track, I'll be back inside by 7 pm to check my email and this post.

hdowden . . . Thanks for the link and the info.

Most of the county fairs only have classes for the kids in poultry, with no open classes. But if they have enough cages - or the hosting club can borrow some - there is no reason why you could not have an Open poultry show using the same facilities and just at some other time than the Fair. However, it really is a lot easier if the cages are already there and just need to be set up. Plus, the size of the show (I am still talking about an Open show). Can be limited to the number of cages present - hopefully at least 200 minimum plus a good mix of Bantam and large Fowl sized cages.

I have been told there is a Open poultry show that is held in Alexandria each year - just not APA or ABA approved.

Ann

i don't know if the cages are on the fair grounds or not and i don't know how many cages they have but i'm sure i or someone here can find out. we could also ask if some of those who will be showing can bring some of their own cages just in case.

as for Alexandria, i lived there for a year but due to my situation when i was there i didn't have any poultry and i don't know anything about an open show there but again i'm sure i or someone on here can also find that out to

The weekend of Sept. 1 is best for me, (payday) :) Hello Ann!!!! I love your magazine!!!! If you need any help let me know. I am looking forward to getting together and getting some ideas and facts on paper and getting this club up and going. I teach, school starts tomorrow for the teachers, so I will not be available til I get home around 4. I do my daily chores ( playing with the chickens :) ) I let my standards out to range when I get home and supervise them so none get lost or eaten. Then there's the donkeys, pig, goats, ducks, geese and a gazillion dogs (21) I am trying to figure a way to let my bantams out too, but the standard hens attack the little ones. I'll probably just fence in a large area for them to forage in safely. Oops got off track, I'll be back inside by 7 pm to check my email and this post.
if you get home around 4 try letting the standards free range for an hour and half then put them up and let the bantams out for the remainder your outside that should give everyone some free range time with no fuss towards one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom