2012 Louisiana chickenstocks, shows, and meet-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. I'd really like to plan one closer to the fall when it cools off!

alright just let us know what you come up with
smile.png
...any and all ideas are welcome here and we all can discuss this as a group. i would also like to include some from Texas if its close enough for those people to come over and join in to
smile.png

I've been doing some research and reaching out to a few people who have experience putting new groups together in other areas across the country.
I am trying to get my thoughts organized right now.

Doris Robinson the APA-ABA YOUTH POULTRY CLUB-National Director/Coordinator said,
"One thing is having a place to hold the show, cages to put the birds in and then getting the paperwork together (that I can help you with). It’s pretty expensive when you have to either rent or purchase cages. Another way is to start out having a “Barnyard Fun Days Poultry show” and is a very popular way to start out. Of course you need a good sized area for people to park and have room to set up the cages. Everyone brings their own cages and you use those as the show cages (only one bird per cage and you need to make sure everyone understands that) because sometimes they’ll crowd 3-5 birds in one cage to carry them around. lol You can hold a picnic and charge each person for eating at the picnic. then your group buys the hot dogs & burgers, cooks them and the rest of you bring the salads, chips & dessert. It’s usually lots of fun and everyone enjoys getting together and talking chickens. That group grows and you get everyone to join your new club and become volunteers to work to putting a real show together."

I think her idea on a Barnyard Fun Day would be fun. Have like a mock show, possibly get a judge to come in and evaluate our birds, have a swap/trade, and then food. I know they just held something like this in Texas, but I cannot remember what site I found that on and who to contact to see how their's went...

Maybe I am over-reaching what yall are interested in doing, but my long term goal would to be have a little poultry club here in south Louisiana and hold a few shows a year that could include buying/selling/trading poultry and poultry items. I would love to team up with some of the 4-H groups (which I will be helping with at the school I teach at in the fall) or Junior Show groups.

I have no personal experience showing poultry, but am very interested. I have a lot of experience showing horses and some showing pigs. I am willing to learn and would love to be able to have a groups of people interested in the same.

Maddi

I've been doing some research and reaching out to a few people who have experience putting new groups together in other areas across the country.
I am trying to get my thoughts organized right now.

Doris Robinson the APA-ABA YOUTH POULTRY CLUB-National Director/Coordinator said,
"One thing is having a place to hold the show, cages to put the birds in and then getting the paperwork together (that I can help you with). It’s pretty expensive when you have to either rent or purchase cages. Another way is to start out having a “Barnyard Fun Days Poultry show” and is a very popular way to start out. Of course you need a good sized area for people to park and have room to set up the cages. Everyone brings their own cages and you use those as the show cages (only one bird per cage and you need to make sure everyone understands that) because sometimes they’ll crowd 3-5 birds in one cage to carry them around. lol You can hold a picnic and charge each person for eating at the picnic. then your group buys the hot dogs & burgers, cooks them and the rest of you bring the salads, chips & dessert. It’s usually lots of fun and everyone enjoys getting together and talking chickens. That group grows and you get everyone to join your new club and become volunteers to work to putting a real show together."

I think her idea on a Barnyard Fun Day would be fun. Have like a mock show, possibly get a judge to come in and evaluate our birds, have a swap/trade, and then food. I know they just held something like this in Texas, but I cannot remember what site I found that on and who to contact to see how their's went...

Maybe I am over-reaching what yall are interested in doing, but my long term goal would to be have a little poultry club here in south Louisiana and hold a few shows a year that could include buying/selling/trading poultry and poultry items. I would love to team up with some of the 4-H groups (which I will be helping with at the school I teach at in the fall) or Junior Show groups.

I have no personal experience showing poultry, but am very interested. I have a lot of experience showing horses and some showing pigs. I am willing to learn and would love to be able to have a groups of people interested in the same.

Maddi
your not over reaching for me at all. i would love to have shows a lot closer to were i live rather than miles and hours away that i cant get to. i do know that actual shows charge a fee to enter. in some of the 4-h fairs/shows we have here in oct at the fair someone brought a few birds in with mites/lice so maybe someone to check them over as they come in as well. all in all we would need a way to help pay for the places we used if we end up renting them. i dont know of any poultry clubs around here so we also need to come up with a name for it, maybe have fun little things like they have on here to also help pay for the shows such as a calender, coloring book, ect.

i have no experience in an actual show expect for a long time ago when i was in like 5 grade for 4-h but i am working with my 4 and 5 year old right now getting them used to properly holding their birds and teaching a few facts here and there, i mainly work on their handling so they dont hurt the bird.

we could have 2 groups in the club: 1 for adults ages 18+ and 1 for kids ages 3-17 since 4-h is usually started in 4th grade (if i remember right) that way young kids have a chance to better participate in the showing as well. we could do exhibition and showmanship.

i do think it might be best to start small and as people come to them they can spread the word and we can hand out fliers for the club

ive never been to the fair imn deridder so i dont know where thats at
hide.gif
but it sounds like it is similar to our fair grounds here. i just dont know who to talk to about that right off the top of my head. will have to look it up and find out who to talk to and how much it would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom