2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

I have 4 large dogs and so far, the predators have steered clear of my place. The deer, on the other hand, think it must be the safe zone because they have a beaten path to our place and show up every night at dinner time to eat, then they go to sleep on the hillside behind our house.

Kim, precious pup!

Bummer, pips. Does the other egg look good?

Well you can rest assured that the ONE SOLO egg will hatch and leave you scrambling to find it some company *lol*

I set up only one pen this year with Alex, my best gander. He is out of your stock "Moscato and Trinity" via Cottage Rose and is turning into one handsome fluffy ball of HORMONES.

Thanks guys for the kind comments about Moose. I do love my doggies!

Well, one of the eggs quit. The two I had were the only ones that developed out of about 20+ eggs. This was from a pair that I am keeping for a friend.

Hopefully the rest of the flock will start to lay soon. It's time to seperate everyone out now.
Oh no! That is not good news. Sorry about that. Fingers crossed that your ladies start laying for you soon and they are all fertile.
fl.gif

I have 4 large dogs and so far, the predators have steered clear of my place. The deer, on the other hand, think it must be the safe zone because they have a beaten path to our place and show up every night at dinner time to eat, then they go to sleep on the hillside behind our house.

Kim, precious pup!

Bummer, pips. Does the other egg look good?
Iain, those must be some great dogs you have there...minus the deer getting pass them.
yep, still kicking
thumbsup.gif

Well you can rest assured that the ONE SOLO egg will hatch and leave you scrambling to find it some company *lol*

I set up only one pen this year with Alex, my best gander. He is out of your stock "Moscato and Trinity" via Cottage Rose and is turning into one handsome fluffy ball of HORMONES.

Thanks guys for the kind comments about Moose. I do love my doggies!
Where are the pictures....drooling over here!!!
droolin.gif
caf.gif

~ Aspen

First goose egg (132 grams) of 2013 laid by Ashely - smooth grey Sebastopol from Shellie.

2nd egg - 144 grams

I've two other eggs from Ashely since these first two. The third egg weighed 148 grams, and yesterday's egg weighed 146 grams. All four of the eggs are in the 'bator..finger's crossed they are fertile.

Above ^ Ashely, Caspian and June (curly white pair).

Shellie, I had to separate Penny off from them again...Caspian will NOT stop jumping on her. I'm afraid he'll kill her.

~ Aspen

I told you all I recently lost three of my precious geese...here is what we caught...........

The first night we set the trap, we caught our wild 'barn' cat...we relocated the cat.

The next night we set the trap again and something wallowed it around and set it off. We went to TSC that morning, and picked up a larger trap. This time we staked them in the ground so they couldn't be moved around.

Third night here is what we caught:

...you are probably wondering what on earth our dog is doing in the trap....

That night I had told one of the little ones to feed Rusty ( the dog), so they took his food out onto the front porch and called him...he always comes ...but this time he didn't. I instantly knew right where he was...sure enough I walked out into the backyard, looked into the goose pen where the traps were set and....

Fourth night - we finally caught the little murderer!!

The guys had fun using him as target practice. He cost me about $300.-$400 dollars. Good riddance!

~ Aspen

I told you all I recently lost three of my precious geese...here is what we caught...........

The first night we set the trap, we caught our wild 'barn' cat...we relocated the cat.

The next night we set the trap again and something wallowed it around and set it off. We went to TSC that morning, and picked up a larger trap. This time we staked them in the ground so they couldn't be moved around.

Third night here is what we caught:

...you are probably wondering what on earth our dog is doing in the trap....

That night I had told one of the little ones to feed Rusty ( the dog), so they took his food out onto the front porch and called him...he always comes ...but this time he didn't. I instantly knew right where he was...sure enough I walked out into the backyard, looked into the goose pen where the traps were set and....

Fourth night - we finally caught the little murderer!!

The guys had fun using him as target practice. He cost me about $300.-$400 dollars. Good riddance!

~ Aspen

Aww three! That is just awful
sad.png
Keep setting the trap, just to be on the safe side you got everything. And catching the dog, too funny.

Were the bodies of your birds left laying around? I lost all of my whites last year, it was so depressing. The bodies were taken off except for a couple.I racked my brain trying to figure out what it was so I just went with a coyote that I had seen creeping around. So this fall this fall rolls around and as i'm going out to feed one evening I stumble into a bobcat in my chicken coop. So I'm thinking that is what took my geese last year. My birds are now locked up way before evening and haven't had a problem but i''m still never gonna let my guard down

Aww three! That is just awful
sad.png
Keep setting the trap, just to be on the safe side you got everything. And catching the dog, too funny.
That's what our plan is. However, Rusty is making it very difficult to trap anything as he always springs it! Goofball!
Were the bodies of your birds left laying around? I lost all of my whites last year, it was so depressing. The bodies were taken off except for a couple.I racked my brain trying to figure out what it was so I just went with a coyote that I had seen creeping around. So this fall this fall rolls around and as i'm going out to feed one evening I stumble into a bobcat in my chicken coop. So I'm thinking that is what took my geese last year. My birds are now locked up way before evening and haven't had a problem but i''m still never gonna let my guard down
The first goose he got, he manged to grab it out of their house, and we think the goose got away and he chased it. We found the remains of the poor goose away out in the pasture. There is no way that coon could have carried a 15lb goose that far. The 2nd two he just grabbed their necks and killed them. I found them lying dead in their pen all bloody that morning. It was such a shock, not what you wanted to see first thing in the morning. I still cry when I think of my poor babies..I miss them so much!

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom