2013 United Peafowl Association Convention

We are thinking up ways that people who cannot attend can still participate in some capacity. We may tape certain parts if we can.

There is an auction for the convention as well as a raffle for a gorgeous quilt. The link to view the quilt is here:
http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/UPAQuiltauction.html and tickets can be bought online. This is truly a gem of a peafowl quilt.

We may also choose select items to auction online from the items donated and there are some good ones. Many of the auction items are pictured on the Facebook site for the UPA.

Hi Jay and Jen,
I'm Looking at the convention schedule and trying to figure out what I can attend. It looks like a lot of board meetings and field trips, but will there be a general hall of booths or people to speak to? I'm all registered but will have to squeeze my visits in between kid's sports and school activities. All of my windows of time fall when there is a zoo trip or meal time, or board meeting. Will there be any thing to see in between? I'm very sad. The schedule doesn't look very promising. Molly

I wish I could go! Be sure to get pictures (especially of the Bronze Progressive Pied if allowed
droolin.gif
)and share them with the less fortunate who cannot go.
I second this! I am picture obsessed!

Wished it was closer
hit.gif
I hope some of you all that are going will take some photos for us left behind here.. i don't think anyone has done it for us before so ya'll would be the first
big_smile.png
I know Zazouse I wish it was closer too. Since I have joined the UPA none of the conventions are close enough for me. I guess the conventions are so far away for me because most breeders are far away.
idunno.gif

WOW i just checked and it is 6 states away and 1265 miles away.. don't think i could make it up there and back in 3 days
barnie.gif
guess that is a good thing i would not come back empty handed that's for sure.
big_smile.png
Yeah it is pretty far! If I could go I would fly there...With a sleigh that is pulled by peafowl.
[___
bow.gif
___/--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif
--
D.gif

~.~.~.~.~.~.~
(pretend the chickens are all 9 of my peafowl.)
Hi Jay and Jen,
I'm Looking at the convention schedule and trying to figure out what I can attend. It looks like a lot of board meetings and field trips, but will there be a general hall of booths or people to speak to? I'm all registered but will have to squeeze my visits in between kid's sports and school activities. All of my windows of time fall when there is a zoo trip or meal time, or board meeting. Will there be any thing to see in between? I'm very sad. The schedule doesn't look very promising. Molly
Could you find someone like a relative to take care of your kids while you go to the convention? The zoo trip would be fun. I hope you can make it to tour Louden Farms though.

Last edited:
Okay, so just returned from Louden Farms "weenie roast"! A nice, small gathering of very friendly people. Jay and Jen's farm looks to be fabulous, although it was VERY dark, so can't wait to see in the day light. Jan was giving myself and "Loretta from Ohio" a tour of the pens. I am not the best person for this report, since I know so little about the various breeds. Loretta, obviously knew her stuff though, as the two of them were pointing out all the variations of Opal, Bronze, black shoulder, Spalding, white eye, etc...etc.... Of course this was being done by flashlight in the dark, so I was very impressed with not only their knowledge but by their superior eyesight as well. Jay and Jen have three adorable, very out going children, who were wonderfully entertaining- no really! Apparently there is a forth, but the baby was asleep in the house. So, my question was this....what ever possessed them to host this convention, with for young children, full time jobs and a very busy farm? While I admire and applaud them......I kinda hope its not contagious. In just a few minutes in Jens company, looking at her birds and listening to here describe the crosses, I could feel that dangerous pull....happening....and I was starting to mentally shop...which bird would I choose to add to my collection......agghhh.....resist, must resist!

I did stop earlier today at the convention room where Jay, Jen and friends were setting up. I tried to lend a hand and then snapped a few pictures of the set up. I will try to do better, but these were on the fly. I will upload those in my next post.
Tomorrow Am- I will throw my kids out of the car as I zoom past their school, in order to make it to Jay's talk on genetics...hoping he starts a tad later than 8. Really want to learn about this stuff!
Night! Molly

I think it's contagious! Good luck with not getting more ;) Sounds like fun to be there...wish I could go...but maybe not because I'd either come home with a bird or get put on a waiting list for one...or two lol!

Just listened to speaker Kermit Blackwood or Kermit Woods- one is his name de plume... All about evolution, species/family origins and geographical background of the Greens. So much to learn. He will be out with a book and encyclopedia of ....Pavos...? In 2016? He ended with a question for UPA - a hope and concern for some concentration on the conservation aspect of Peafowl. The random calling of peafowl as Greens, when infact there should be more diliniation- was one point of example. Something to think about and discuss ....and persue?

Okay, so just returned from Louden Farms "weenie roast"! A nice, small gathering of very friendly people. Jay and Jen's farm looks to be fabulous, although it was VERY dark, so can't wait to see in the day light. Jan was giving myself and "Loretta from Ohio" a tour of the pens. I am not the best person for this report, since I know so little about the various breeds. Loretta, obviously knew her stuff though, as the two of them were pointing out all the variations of Opal, Bronze, black shoulder, Spalding, white eye, etc...etc.... Of course this was being done by flashlight in the dark, so I was very impressed with not only their knowledge but by their superior eyesight as well. Jay and Jen have three adorable, very out going children, who were wonderfully entertaining- no really! Apparently there is a forth, but the baby was asleep in the house. So, my question was this....what ever possessed them to host this convention, with for young children, full time jobs and a very busy farm? While I admire and applaud them......I kinda hope its not contagious. In just a few minutes in Jens company, looking at her birds and listening to here describe the crosses, I could feel that dangerous pull....happening....and I was starting to mentally shop...which bird would I choose to add to my collection......agghhh.....resist, must resist!

I did stop earlier today at the convention room where Jay, Jen and friends were setting up. I tried to lend a hand and then snapped a few pictures of the set up. I will try to do better, but these were on the fly. I will upload those in my next post.
Tomorrow Am- I will throw my kids out of the car as I zoom past their school, in order to make it to Jay's talk on genetics...hoping he starts a tad later than 8. Really want to learn about this stuff!
Night! Molly

Thank you for the fabulous report! And I could picture every minute of what you were talking about! Definitely love the part about throwing out the kids as you drive by their school!
clap.gif

And I am with you....HOW do they manage all that?
hu.gif
Clean living, I suppose!
big_smile.png
I sure could not manage it. I almost had a nervous breakdown getting ready for our small farm party last Sunday here! And I haven't any little kids!
th.gif

I know nothing much about the Java Greens because that is not my area of interest. I love the India Blues and a few Spaldings but am not as attracted to the others. Although I would still push to help save them and call them by the appropriate name.

Back
Top Bottom