2014 breeding season begins, post your results

It looks like you managed to stop the rotation, but it also looks like he probably doesn't get much good use out of it. The protein and overfeeding thing is funny, some people can feed super high protein and have no leg problems and others have them. I did as much research as I could last summer and there wasn't all that much out there. Twisted Tibia is more common in heavier bodied birds like broiler chickens, emus, etc..... I found one common thing, nobody knows why it happens to some birds and not others, but all agree slowing growth seems to eliminate its occurrence. I put this together with the fact that my incubated chicks grow much faster than my hen raised chicks, but both end up equal in size by adulthood. My hen raised ones never had a single leg problem in 20 years of breeding. I learned my lesson as well, I don't envy you being in this position. He is such a bright eyed and pretty bird otherwise.
hugs.gif
It's really weird, I keep hearing about people feeding their chicks high protein feed until they are a year old without having any problems! I will hatch another pretty chicks like him next summer, hopefully, as long as my bronze silver pied chicks are doing well I'm fine LOL

@q8peafowl , your guy is such a cutie
love.gif
, I hope you can find another treatment for him.

I'm not sure what @DylansMom 's treatment was, was it this one?
http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/discussion/20755/chickens-help
If not, maybe you can give it a try even though he is older?

Or, I wonder if anything here might be helpful?
http://www.voy.com/194762/459.html
I tried almost everything since he was young, i took him to a vet who also told me it can't be treated, mainly because he get older, he is almost 4 months now, the other two who get better were younger.

@q8peafowl , your guy is such a cutie
love.gif
, I hope you can find another treatment for him.

I'm not sure what @DylansMom 's treatment was, was it this one?
http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/discussion/20755/chickens-help
If not, maybe you can give it a try even though he is older?

Or, I wonder if anything here might be helpful?
http://www.voy.com/194762/459.html

DCT the friendly poultry orthopedist is the one who taught me the night taping treatment that I used on my chicks. The Twisted Tibia is really not very well understood, it can happen to a newly hatched chick (like the one in the first link) apparently an injury caused by difficulty hatching, same way this can cause a slipped tendon. It can also happen later like it did with mine. My chicks hatched out just fine and were perfectly normal for the first 3-5 weeks of life, then all of a sudden 5 out of 8 had legs rotating outward. In my case the only thing that made any sense was a dietary issue, it was not genetic as the chicks were out of 3 different breeding pairs, all of whom had produced perfectly sound chicks in the past. I did a lot of internet searching and Rapid Growth was considered the main risk factor. From there I looked at what I was doing compared to what my hens were doing, and I started pulling out all food overnight. DCT recommended limiting protein as too much was also considered a contributing factor. We taped legs together, pulling the bad one into a normal position, at dusk every night and removing vet wrap 12 hours later for 4 weeks.

This is Rodger now.

This was him when we first noticed the leg rotating.

Last edited:
Mine also came from different trios, this spalding pied chick, an opal silver pied chick and a spalding bronze chick. I notice that my bronze black shoulder chicks didn't get Twisted Tibia, maybe they have better genetics? But i still believe it came from high protein feed.

By the way Rodger looks great now
thumbsup.gif

Thanks he is terribly imprinted as well, he was the first chick of 2013 and then with all the handling during the leg taping treatment, he just got very tame. I can still walk right up and just wrap my arms around him and pick him up. In the last picture he is standing next to his full sister(pied) same parents, incubated at the same time, in the same bator, hatched together, fed the same feed, everything the same. Her legs were fine no rotation, only difference was sex and color/pattern. Twisted Tibia is said to be slightly more frequent in males, probably just because they are a little bigger than females.

So far so good! We taped his legs together again. He can still walk. Guess I'll leave it on a bit longer this time. He has between a hop and a walk. He can eat and drink, so I'll leave him alone and see what happens. The only other time this happened I only had to leave it on 2 days. They were both pretty young. They are (were) a couple of weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom