2014 breeding season begins, post your results

pop.gif

-Kathy

pip,pip they are coming out to meet me soon
celebrate.gif
and i have not turned on the bator yet so i have been good, thank you broody hens
bow.gif
Go Broodies Go!
celebrate.gif
'Grats... but didn't I see you say somewhere on here you weren't hatching this season? I think you repeated it 3 times in a post. Did I miss something or does hatching only count if you turn on the incubator??? LOL
big_smile.png
Can't wait to see what hatches for you.

I have 2 new PeaBabies in the hatcher this AM. One of them is Pied (or Dark Pied) and probably also got the 1 copy of the W/E... there's lots of White on it's wings plus I see a couple big colored light spots on the back of it's head too. All I can tell about the other chick is that it is darker colored. I wanna reach in there and grab that Pied baby and see just how much White is on it (and also see if the other chick might have any White flights) but there's one more egg that is pipped that needs to hatch, so I'm not opening the door yet. That's the one thing I do not like so much about cabinet hatchers... there's no small window to reach in and grab babies thru!

Go Broodies Go!
celebrate.gif
'Grats... but didn't I see you say somewhere on here you weren't hatching this season? I think you repeated it 3 times in a post. Did I miss something or does hatching only count if you turn on the incubator??? LOL
big_smile.png
Can't wait to see what hatches for you.

I have 2 new PeaBabies in the hatcher this AM. One of them is Pied (or Dark Pied) and probably also got the 1 copy of the W/E... there's lots of White on it's wings plus I see a couple big colored light spots on the back of it's head too. All I can tell about the other chick is that it is darker colored. I wanna reach in there and grab that Pied baby and see just how much White is on it (and also see if the other chick might have any White flights) but there's one more egg that is pipped that needs to hatch, so I'm not opening the door yet. That's the one thing I do not like so much about cabinet hatchers... there's no small window to reach in and grab babies thru!
I am not hatching per say the broodies are doing all the work, but these were the first eggs i got from my hens so i set them to check fertility which is 100% at this time according to the eggs
big_smile.png
the pea hens are 100% broody after 4 eggs this year, darn things are making me crazy with the goose eggs, i am fixing to just let them sit their clutches and be done with it at least i will get 28 days of rest
old.gif

Besides i did sell 12 yearlings so i can afford to have some replacements, this size flock is manageable not that most of my other birds are gone now, well till the hens come out with more, but i been setting the pea eggs under any hen i could find so not many chicken chicks are getting hatched.

Congradulations on the new hatches, can not wait to see their photos.

Last edited:
Quote: Oh! Didn't realize you sold so many yearlings, grats on that too. It's always a relief when one can finally downsize their flocks, but in my case MY hatching addiction just gets me buried again in no time, lol.

Speaking of downsizing, I'm gettin' rid of 80 or so adult Guineas this weekend... it hasn't even happened yet and I'm already fighting the urge to pen up my Pied Chocolates with a few other pretty Pieds and set a 'bator full of Guinea eggs. I can't tho, I'll want to keep all the gorgeous Pied keets and I'm gonna need all the extra space I can get for all the PeaBabies I'm hatching this season. Must... stay... strong.

I have at least 2 Broody Silkies right now that I'm tempted to let sit on Pea eggs, but the last Silkie I let sit (on 3 Pea eggs) wouldn't get her dumb butt off the eggs to do her broody dumps, and 2 of the eggs ended up dying at different stages (I'm assuming from her pooping on them). I ended up having to lift her up every day and clean up a little present every day, and luckily she did hatch one for me... but I'm a little leary of using my Silkies for Broodies again. My other options are letting the PeaHens sit on a clutch in their half barrel in their coop (but there are Guineas in there too), or maybe using a Turkey Hen that I'd put in a large wire dog crate... both of which I have never tried before. Good Broodies are hide to find, for me anyway
hmm.png
I'm way envious of everyone that has success with theirs!

Last edited:
I congratulate everyone. This is my second yr. to try and hatch peafowl. Last yr I bought 9 eggs from eBay 3 hatched one messed up its cord and died not long after hatching one had leg trouble had to kill it the other lasted about 3 monthes and got killed. So I bought 4 more from eBay and nothing they were all scrambled, so for my last try I bought 6 from a breeder about 2 hour drive from me here hoping for so luck.

Quote:
So glad to see that I'm not the only one that's half-cracked here in Cali, lol
wee.gif
You should visit the Nor Cal thread, lots of whackos there, lol. And I mean that in a nice way. Most are chicken people, but they're a good group.

So far I have set 40 eggs, even ones I thought wouldn't be fertile! Also just had a few clutches of Muscovies hatch, so need to find homes for them while they're still young and cute.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom