2014 breeding season begins, post your results

And another:

-Kathy
Congrats
thumbsup.gif

My new babies:

There are 2 purples, and 2 blackshoulders. I think I will name them Windy, Breeze, Stormy and Rain since they were trying to hatch three days early during the tornado.
wink.png
Lol...

Well when I set my second batch of eggs there were 10 of them, however 6 were shipped eggs that I subsequently discovered had been scrambled by the USPS, so I was down to 4, then 2 of my own turned up clear so I was down to 2 eggs when I put them in the Hatcher. One of these had a really strange air space when candled, it was huge and I was afraid the chick would be shrink wrapped, glad to report he was not. These 2 made their appearance around 5am day 27. The white is the one from the egg with the huge air space and the other is a spalding out of my BG and Br. bs hen.

The next pic is for you Kathy, my sink just isn't big enough, so I brood in my bath tub!
highfive.gif

It's easy to clean too!
gig.gif

Cute babies everybody, congrats
love.gif

I have a new addition as of this AM too... incubated by 2 Broody Silkies, hatched by a GQF, lol

Cute babies everybody, congrats
love.gif

I have a new addition as of this AM too... incubated by 2 Broody Silkies, hatched by a GQF, lol

Very nice looking pied! Is he from your birds or shipped? I ask because I start my shipped ones in an egg carton modified in the same way!

Quote: Thanks, this chick is from my own eggs... from my quad of IBs (that have no White feathers on them anywhere, lol). Unfortunately the shipped eggs I tried to hatch this season didn't survive the USPS brutality (Priority)
sad.png

I started hatching Guinea Fowl keets in egg carton bottoms years ago, and have stuck with using that method ever since, for everything I hatch. Whenever I would lay eggs down on their sides in the hatcher I'd just stress the entire time because once the hatch started the other newly hatched babies were bulldozing around in the hatcher and rolling pipped eggs all over. This way when something pips externally I can see it and keep a better eye on it because it doesn't get rolled around by the other babies. Seems to me that with the eggs standing up in the egg carton bottoms during lockdown also helps reduce the number of external pips at the pointy end with my hatches too
idunno.gif

Hey! Quick question for you all. I hatched peafowl a couple years ago and now that they're breeding age I've had 4 females disappear... I have a feeling they went off into the woods to nest. What are the chances of them coming back?

I'm going to be working on a pen this for them this year. My heart is broken over them leaving... I knew it would happen eventually, but I was really hoping the would nest in the barn. Two bronze, one white and one purple gone. :( Thank God my Opal hen has stuck around. I have another one sitting one 3 eggs, 2 chicks I hatched and two more eggs in the incubator...hoping to replace what I've lost.

My two buford bronze and two black shoulder midnight peacocks have stuck around and are still making a TON of noise. I'm hoping they'll call their girls back if they don't get eaten by something first.

Back
Top Bottom