2014 breeding season begins, post your results

He sure is getting dark!

The 25 day old egg that I set in the Janoel 48 has pipped on day 28!

-Kathy

Edited to add: As of six hours ago it had not pipped internally!

Last edited:
Yes you can worm them at that age. At that age they should weigh about 500 grams according to the data I have. At 500 grams I would give .25ml Safeguard if I was treating for cecal worms or .1ml Safeguard for five days in a row if I was treating for capillary worms.

Do you have Corid? I would be more suspicious of coccidiosis, but he could be sick with something else like blackhead or enteritis. Can you post a picture of his poop? Poop picture will really help.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that you should worm him, just that you can. The amounts above are for a 500 gram chick. If your chick is lighter, it would need less. Make sense?
You made me so proud of you right now!!! I am not joking you really did. This is what I was trying to tell you in the lost peacock thread but you got angry. I knew you said you kept a record of your bird's weight from hatch to adult each year, but could not understand why you could not just give a cc/ml amount to the members. Doesn't that look like experience rather then quoting a book at 10-50ml per KB of weight? LOL I know you are SMILING now cause you just made me do it
big_smile.png

Quote: IMO, it would be irresponsible of me to say just give it "x" amount. If someone's 6 week old chick had been sick it would probably weigh *much* less than 500 grams and the dose would need to be adjusted accordingly. Or, if that chick was a monster, the dose should be adjusted upwards. I'm not a vet, but I think higher doses will be fine, but too low a dose might not be as effective.

FYI, I'm not just quoting a book, I post based on the research I have done and methods that I currently use. Yes, books do have doses listed as mg/kg (not ml per kg
big_smile.png
), and they do for a reason, just like I do... Different sized birds need different amounts, right? For example, a mature peacock might weigh as much as 6kg and a peahen the same age might weigh as little as 3kg. Again, I am not a vet, but I know my vet would have me give *twice* as much of most medicines to the larger bird.

Same is true for tube feeding and giving fluids... Larger birds *will* need more.

-Kathy

Last edited:
#4 and #5 from the "old egg" experiment are fluffed. So out of all of the eggs, which was at least 54, five hatched, two were late quitters and about 6 were early quitters. The oldest egg to hatch was 26 days old when set. Some older ones might have started, but I honestly don't remember.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom